vSphere Hypervisor

View Only
  • 1.  Dual CPU License and Install on HP DL360 G7

Posted Mar 05, 2011 10:17 PM

Two questions regarding vSphere:

1.) I am looking to get a HP DL360 G7 w/4GB SDHC internal Flash. I have the option of either 1 or 2 physical CPUs with between 4 to 6 cores each. My only other experience to date has been running ESXi/vSphere on a single CPU with 2 to 4 cores.

My first question is if I choose a dual CPU with 4 cores each, how will this affect licensing? I did find a blog post referencing this issue, and it was my understanding that for the free edition I could only have a maximum of 4 virtual CPUs per VM. At the moment there is a plan to just start off with 2 VMs. So, if I am limited to 4 virtual CPUs, could I dedicate each physical 4-core to a VM? To use a dual physical CPU do I need another version? I have seen conflicting answers to this whether the free edition can use 2 physical CPUs.

2.) Also question for HP users. I know that HP has vSphere/ESXi available to install on these Proliants. Does anyone know what requirements are needed? Do I need to purchase vSphere licensed edition through them? At this time for this server we really can't use any of the options available with the vSphere advanced/Essentials versions. So the plan was just to use the more basic free edition. But as I understand the version HP makes available has more features and support options specific to HP servers hardware. Is it even worth installing the one made available through HP?

• 2.  RE: Dual CPU License and Install on HP DL360 G7

Posted Mar 06, 2011 12:27 AM

1) yes the free version can use any number of physical processors.  2) yes, the HP version has a in built additional hardware monitoring plugins which will allow you to see more info form the hardware status.

• 3.  RE: Dual CPU License and Install on HP DL360 G7

Posted Mar 06, 2011 06:09 AM

License limit are per socket (and up to two are possible also with the free edition) and per core on each socket (up to 6 in all version, exect Advanced and Enterprise Plus where the limit is 12). 

Andre