VMware Cloud Community
muneebali67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does vmnic support 25G of bandwidth in ESXi?

The physical server is connected with 25G of network adapter and twinax cable. The question is would vmnic of ESXi support 25G of the bandwidth? I checked in the VMware documentation but didn't find much detail on it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Checked that the adapter is supported?

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

If it is, ESXi should take advantage of whatever capabilities it has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Checked that the adapter is supported?

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

If it is, ESXi should take advantage of whatever capabilities it has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
firefoxchris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just as a side note when you have this running - If you're using 25Gbit adapters for vSAN you may find that you do not get a full 25Gbit reading when you do the performance test in vCenter.

From what I've read this is down to a single thread limitation in iometer which is what vCenter uses to do the test (you'll probably see around 9000Mbit). The actual bandwidth available to vSAN should be unaffected in practice and run at the 25Gbit speed.