VMware Cloud Community
andrewpilachows
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Connect Shared Dell Smart Card Reader Keyboard

Host Image:

• 6.7.0 Update 2 (Build 13006603) / ESXi-6.7.0-20190402001-standard (VMware, Inc.)

Guest Settings:

• Guest OS - Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) VBS Enabled
  • Compatibility - ESXi 6.7 U2 virtual machine
  • VMware Tools - Yes/Current
  • USB Controller - USB 2.0

Our domain has Smart Card enforcement enabled for all workstations through group policy. Deploying our Windows 10 enterprise image to local VMware Workstation Pro (licensed), I can connect Shared Dell Smart Card Reader Keyboard to the VM to be able to log in through the console. We have now purchased a machine to have as a stand-alone host for Hypervisor. Whether I use browser console, VMRC, or VMware Workstation Pro remotely connected to the server, I am unable to connect the Dell keyboard for smart card logon. Using RDP I am able to log in normally, but I would prefer having users log into the web console and just give them the VM name to use instead of having to fish the IP address each time. Would a remote connection to the host be preventing a shared keyboard (technical limitation), or is it a limitation of being not connected to a vCenter server? Is there an advanced setting I am missing that I have not been able to find any documentation on so far?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrewpilachows
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did read that article, and that is the option available in Workstation Pro, but I just read the part I was overlooking:

A license is required for the shared smart card feature. See vCenter Server and Host Management.

As this is both not managed by vCenter and only the free licensed Hypervisor not full version, it appears it is a feature that is not available to me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

I have not used smart card with ESXi before so below are my thoughts on your issue.

1. Have you checked/used steps from below VMware Doc ?

Add a Shared Smart Card Reader to Virtual Machines

2. Though the Smart Card worked in VMware Workstation Pro, have you confirmed with vendor if the Smart Card supports working in a VM through ESXi 6.7 ?

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
andrewpilachows
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did read that article, and that is the option available in Workstation Pro, but I just read the part I was overlooking:

A license is required for the shared smart card feature. See vCenter Server and Host Management.

As this is both not managed by vCenter and only the free licensed Hypervisor not full version, it appears it is a feature that is not available to me.

0 Kudos