VMware Cloud Community
esxlinux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clonning C:\ Drive Only of VM for recovery purposes

Hi All

I have a Windows 2000 server VM and this server has 3 different drives presented to it, C: 😧 and E:, we dont have much space left on the datastore and we trying to clone the server for recoveryability. We only need to clone the C:\ to save space on the datasore.

I have been reading on forum and other links and i noticed that some suggestion are as per below:

1- Use VMware standalone converter? What is best approach?

2- Using the vMA as per this link ( http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102787... )

While i was checking the virtual center from where this VM is being mangaged, i managed to browse the DATASTORE and browse the VM files and i can see the C:\ drive, so i was wondering if i could copy this VMDK file and past it in upper folder (which it is the datastore level where you can see all VMs folders),

Would this be same as the above two methods or better and easier?

Also would it work if i create New windows 2000 server and use this disk clone as its disk?

What is the best and also the simplest way to clone c:\ drive of VM that will work 100% is recovery of server was required?

Thanks for your time and effortSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

esxlinux wrote:

Hi All

I have a Windows 2000 server VM and this server has 3 different drives presented to it, C: 😧 and E:, we dont have much space left on the datastore and we trying to clone the server for recoveryability. We only need to clone the C:\ to save space on the datasore.

I have been reading on forum and other links and i noticed that some suggestion are as per below:

2- Using the vMA as per this link ( http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102787... )

While i was checking the virtual center from where this VM is being mangaged, i managed to browse the DATASTORE and browse the VM files and i can see the C:\ drive, so i was wondering if i could copy this VMDK file and past it in upper folder (which it is the datastore level where you can see all VMs folders),

Also would it work if i create New windows 2000 server and use this disk clone as its disk?

What is the best and also the simplest way to clone c:\ drive of VM that will work 100% is recovery of server was required?

hi  the simplest way is copy & paste , next can use clone , it will ask you moved or copied at the time of restore if you used copy & paste option.

Yours,

Satya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

esxlinux wrote:

Hi All

hi  the simplest way is copy & paste , next can use clone , it will ask you moved or copied at the time of restore if you used copy & paste option.

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos