VMware Cloud Community
TheJuice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot activate passthrough for USB device

Hi, I have a Huawei 3531 GSM dongle connected to ESXI 7, that is recognized like this :

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. HSPA modem

But when I try to add the device to a VM, ESXi tells me there is no USB device available to add.

The following command shows me the passthrough is not activated for this device :

$esxcli hardware usb passthrough device list

Bus Dev VendorId ProductId Enabled Can Connect to VM         Name
--- --- -------- --------- ------- ------------------------- ----
1   5   12d1     1446      false   no (passthrough disabled) Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. HSPA modem

I tried to enable the device with this :

esxcli hardware usb passthrough device enable -d 1:5:12d1:1446

and although the command seems to succeed (no error is displayed), the device remains disabled.

Could you help me solve that ?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheJuice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was just able to make this work. It was not ESXi related.

On many websites, I saw that the Huawei 3531 was to be put in modem mode with the command AT^SETPORT:A1,A2;1,2,3

As I explained; that did not do the trick. Today; I came across another website that said the command to use was AT^SETPORT="FF;10,12"

With this last command; all was solved and I can now use the GSM stick inside my guest VM in ESXi !

I hope this can be useful to other.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TheJuice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was just able to make this work. It was not ESXi related.

On many websites, I saw that the Huawei 3531 was to be put in modem mode with the command AT^SETPORT:A1,A2;1,2,3

As I explained; that did not do the trick. Today; I came across another website that said the command to use was AT^SETPORT="FF;10,12"

With this last command; all was solved and I can now use the GSM stick inside my guest VM in ESXi !

I hope this can be useful to other.

Cheers.

jorgevaldez101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dear colleague
Could you tell me where you enabled that command, in which OS and if with any software?

AT^SETPORT="FF;10,12"

0 Kudos