VMware Cloud Community
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Boot error after converting from Hyper-V to VMWare

i have restored a VM server 2016 was backed up from hyper v to vmware. during the boot it shows blue screen
the error shows inaccessible boot device vmware server 2016

see screenshot

Any ideas what could be the reason for this issue?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How did you back it up and move it over to vSphere Hypervisor?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Which did you use? Seems like you restored the os disk without boot partition. 
If you are performing inside os I would recommend VMware Standalone Converter.

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt i have used VEEAM backup and replication to backup the hyeper v VM.

i have restore it using this tutorial.

have i missed something ?

@stadi13 thank you for your answer, i used VEEAM instead of the converter.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you used veeam. Try it with Veeam Instant VM recovery instead. It shows you if the VM boots up without restoring it. If it succeed you can migrate it with vMotion into production.

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer.

i had a issue with the restore.

11/21/2022 5:22:07 AM :: Copying snapshot files Error: DiskLib error: [13].The file is locked or in use -- File open failed: File not open

Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:10.0.36.10,nfchost:ha-host,stg:629482c6-f907d248-f037-8cdcd4b3eb3c@VeeamIR/ger-FS1_594d558d-ab36-4f82-93da-00c0a176ce72/disk0-000001-sesparse.vmdk].

Agent failed to process method {ReplicaUtils.CreateTrackerFromVMDKDelta}.

i have rebooted the host and the veeeam.

ill try it tonight again

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Why not to try a new one VMware vCenter Converter?

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using Veeam because its contains backup of the VM as well.

in case like today i can run it from the backup.

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

anyone can with some idea?

appreciate it .

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you deleted the VM on ESX host and retried the operation?

I strongly recommend a Instant VM recovery to VMware instead of cold restore. Then you can see immediatelly if the VM boots up or not. If successfull you can migrate the VM afterwards to production datastore.

Regards

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer

i am doing the instant recovery, the VM doesnt boot up before the migration start.

during the first boots up it errors out with the inaccessible boot device

see screenshot.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok - then something with the backup is wrong. When you do the same on the existing hyper-v (no override, without network) does it boot there?

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i appreciare your answers.

when i try do a instant recovery to the hyper v it seems it will delete the original VM before.

somehow it works different than vMware.

but i went ahead and it runs on hyper v. so somehow vMware doesnt like the hyper V VM.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Centosuser : appreciation is done with kudos here at the community 😉✌🏽

To avoid destroying the existing hyper-v vm you must select the option „Restore to a new location, or with different settings“. So you can set a new name, specify the target pool and network settings.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/instant_recovery_mode_hv.html?ver=110

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kudos has been added :). i didnt know sorry

i noticed i can restore other VM, only this RDS server is crashing without any reason.

just to confirm i can restore other VMS, i don't know why this one is not working.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you! Good to hear taht other vms are working. I‘m quite sure taht this is an issue only for this vm. We need to check as next step if the VM boots when restored on hyper-v then we need to fix the vm and it is not a veeam related issue.

did you try the instant vm recovery on hyper-v with the diffrent location option?

see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/instant_recovery_mode_hv.html?ver=110

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i really appreciate your involvement in this.

i am going to deploy a new RDS server on the ESXI, the one we have seems a very bad one.

most of the users are using Folder redirections which makes things easy.

i was happy the file and DC servers were able to migrate.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem. Thats VMware community 😉

i think redeployment from scratch is a good solution.

One last question: can you confirm when you reboot the RDS on Hyper-V it boots successfull?

For housekeeping: Please mark your question as solved when you request no further input from community. Thanks!

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you as always,

i can restore ( instant recovery of the VM on the Hyper V ) it does boots up and allows me to log in.

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok, good to know, that it works on Hyper-V. Did you retry the migration from Hyper-V to VMware? During the Instant VM Recovery - Veeam is performing a conversion into the the VMware format. Maybe something went wrong there.

Regards

Daniel

For housekeeping: Please mark your question as solved when you request no further input from community. Thanks!

0 Kudos