VMware Cloud Community
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Benefits of VMware over Hyper-V

Hi, I contacted VMware with this request directly recently but still haven't had a reply.  Does anyone know where I can get an updated version of this http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/principled_technologies_vmware_vs_microsoft_tco.pdf that covers VMware against the new features of Hyper-V (like the fact that you can now aggregate links without 3rd party drivers etc)

I have a customer who wants to go Hyper-V based on cost of licenses and I need to prove VMware is the better option.  His current environment is totally unreliable and to introduce some stability in their new solution I would like to make vSphere the foundation.  It is also far easier for us to support after implementation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I dont think Principled technologies released an updated version of this PDF, its comparatively new which published in April 2012.

Here is similar PDF from VMware. Most of the features taken for comparison int his PDF are the total vSphere features, though the guide is for VMware View.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-vSphere-VDI-Hyper-V-XenServer.pdf

0 Kudos
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it still doesn't target the added features of Windows 2012 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wealvescabral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You also can check the differences between Hypervisors here:

http://www.virtualizationmatrix.com/matrix.php

I know that its not a official VMware doc, but I hope that can help you.

Wellington Cabral | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

I find most customers that choose hyper-v do so as they have a good MS agreement such as select that gives then cost advantages to go with hyper-v.

I would recommend you do not approach this as a technical features discussion, but you need to show the customer how the cost models stack up for vsphere against hyper-v.

Your vmware account manager or SE should be able to provide this information, you will also find stuff on partner central if you work for a vmware partner.

0 Kudos
SarahRose
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a page with several users comparing VMware to Hyper-V. Most people agree tha VMware is better for certain situations and Hyper-V is better for others. A few users agree that VMware is better across the board.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In the beginning, Hyper-V was an afterthought to most enterprise users, just another native Windows Server tool with little business value. Slowly but surely, the perception changed as the product continued to evolve.  Some of the biggest improvements came in the launch of Windows Server 2012. Dubbed “3.0”, this version of Hyper-V introduced a number of exciting new features, including a few we’ve yet to really dig into, such as:

More VMs. The enhanced clustering capabilities in Hyper-V 3.0 highlight some of the strengths it draws from Windows Server 8. Thanks to the underlying OS, it can support as many as 63 nodes and up to 4,000 VMs (or 8000 depending on who you ask) on a single host, which is considerably more than what VMware handles.

Bigger VMs. The enterprise community couldn’t help but give consideration to the trending alternative when learning of the beefier support for workloads. Hyper-V 3.0 supports as much as 32 cores in virtual processing power and 512 GB of RAM, allowing for type of scalability high-volume businesses demand.

More virtual disk space. The VHDX feature is another scalability improvement made by Microsoft. VHDX trumps the original virtual hard disk (VHD) format by supporting 16TB in storage, while enabling virtual environments to enjoy better storage, performance, and data protection.

VM replication. Hyper-V Replica allows administrators to replicate the state of a live virtual machine from its primary location to a backup location of sorts. With no need for special storage or network hardware, this feature may come in handy for recovery efforts should disaster strike at the primary site.

VM grouping and isolation. Version 3.0 also includes support for affinity and non-affinity rules. Like the Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) rules in VMware, these options allow you to determine whether or not VMs with similar resource needs run on the same host.

0 Kudos