VMware Cloud Community
cstutz82
Contributor
Contributor

Automate the deletion of Snapshots

Hello.
I'm going to start taking VM Snapshot through Tasks in vSphere ( Client version 7.0.1.00200).
Since I only saw how to do Task to create Snapshot and not to remove.
So I would like to know if anyone knows a way to automate the deletion of Snapshots (so that I don't have to manually do the deletion, since the creation will be every day and in several VM's)

Grateful.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why create so many snapshots? What would be the criteria for deleting them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cstutz82
Contributor
Contributor

Management determination, as they are priority services that run on these VMs.
The idea is to keep only the last Snapshot.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Whats wrong with limiting the number of snapshots in the vmx-file ?
> Management determination, as they are priority services that run on these VMs

Please explain - if those VMs run important services you would use an automatic backuptool daily - but definetely NOT create random snapshots manually.
Are you  using snapshots as a missguided way to create backups ???

0 Kudos
cstutz82
Contributor
Contributor

How do I limit the number of Snapshots in the vmx-file?

In fact, Snapshots are a redundancy, because as they are VMs of Interbase Database, the fastest way to go back Backups (which are also done daily using DataGuard), is to go back the snapshot and go back the backup.. ..Because the Interbase database needs to be "open" to backup.

So, management doesn't give up the daily Snapshots.
Since I create the snapshots via VSphere Taks, I needed an "automated" way to remove them, otherwise I have to go into each machine and delete the "old" Snapshots manually.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

snapshot.numSnapshots = "1"

I thought that we had finally managed to get the idea that snapshots are backups out of the heads of educated admins.
Sorry  - I dont help with what I consider borderline sabotage.

Ulli

0 Kudos
cstutz82
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I agree. But unfortunately sometimes we just follow orders and have to keep our jobs.
Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos