VMware Cloud Community
LozBoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Allowing Duplicate VMDK UUIDs

I'm using VMware ESX 7.0-u2 

I seen lots of posts about stoppng this but I have a different use case.

I'm using an "Other 64-bit OS" and it supports Multipath disks on SCSI buses. accessing one path (SCSI Controller) at a time but can switch path (SCSI controller), very similarly to a SCSI disk  being accesed by one of other of 2 hosts in a cluster.

So I have  a VMDK presented (Sharing = Multi Writer) to 2 two different SCSI Controllers (SCSI Bus Sharing is Virtual mode) in the same Virtual Machine and hence it has the same UUID on both buses as it is the same VMDK, the VMDK has the same SCSI LUN ID on both SCSI Buses and everytime I start the VM I get the following message twice which I answer YES to

Virtual disks "/vmfs/volumes/62128f6e-fea41018-0fe7-3822e20c29a1/ANGLES/ANGLES.vmdk" and "/vmfs/volumes/62128f6e-fea41018-0fe7-3822e20c29a1/ANGLES/ANGLES.vmdk" have the same UUID. Virtual disks with same UUID should not be assigned to a virtual machine because duplications can lead to problems when the guest boots. Make sure virtual disks have unique UUIDs. Do you want to continue?

How can I tell VMware the permanent answer is yes so it doesn't keep asking.

The OS is detecting that this is a Multipath Device correctly and hence seeing it as a single unit., why am I doing this, because I'm try to build a simple test environment that has Multipath disks in it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try adding

disk.AllowDupUUID = "TRUE"

to the vmx configuration file.

View solution in original post

2 Replies