VMware Cloud Community
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

Active Directory and ESXi Hypervisor

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/09/joining-vsphere-hosts-to-active-directory.htmlGood afternoon, all!

I'm working on joining my ESXi hosts to Active Directory and using Windows credentials to log in.  However, I've run into a snag that I haven't found a solution for.

I used this document as my guide for setting up the ESXi host and put a new group in ADUC called ESXiAdmins (tried with and without spaces) with the appropriate people in the group.

When I try to log in to the host using my Windows credentials, I get the message "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."  I've checked with other users in the ESXiAdmins group and they have a similar problem.

I've checked both sides and, AFAIK I haven't missed a step.

My production stack is running a vCenter server and Active Directory - that works fine.

One difference - I haven't gotten the unknown certificate dialog on my workstation; my coworker has - but he got the same login error as I did.

I downloaded the client logs and it appears that there's a SOAP error inside - ?????

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

Message was edited by: Gregg Hughes I also followed this document (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/09/joining-vsphere-hosts-to-active-directory.html) and found that when I went to add permissions the Domain drop-down list didn't include the Active Directory domain. Hmmmm.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

Found it!

This posting had the clue - I SSH'd over to the host in question and restarted services - and I could see the domain and the group!  I added them as Administrators and it worked!

One caveat - the client did not like the "Use my Windows Credentials" check box - that generated the "Cannot log in......" error.  But logging in by hand seems to work - don't know why that would be, but.......

Thanks to all!

Gregg

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do a full reboot of the host and see if that works.

the way I did it, created ESX Admins group with couple of members in it. (Config.HostAgent.plugins.hostsvc.esxAdminsGroup = ESX Admins)

Joined ESXi host in AD domain.

Rebooted host.

tested it with 'Use my windows credential..' and worked well.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos