VMware Cloud Community
snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client cannot connect to 6.7...but connects to my 6.5 servers just fine...what should it work with?

I get the attached error message when using the latest build of client 6.0 with a ESXi 6.7. I've read that client 6.0 should not work with ESXi after 6.0 but it works just fine with my 6.5...so not sure what is up and down here. Can someone clarify for me?

See attached screenshot for error message.

12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

With ESXi 6.7 (and 6.5 after Update 1) it will not work AT ALL. And, before you ask, no, there is nothing you can do and no way to restore that functionality. You need to move on and use the HTML5-based embedded host client available at https://<FQDN>/ui.

0 Kudos
snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. Although I don't have any issues with the HMTL version it does lack much functionality that the client has. For example we have having issues with a virtual machine getting USB 2.0 drives to connect. We were always able to make it work with the client software...but a new USB DEVICE is always greyed out in the HTML version. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

HTML5 is fully functional starting 6.7U1, scheduled to release later this year.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This only applies to the vSphere Client, not the ESXi embedded host client.

0 Kudos
snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

Can you repost the URL you referenced as I'm not familiar with the embedded host client. Thx.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

URL for host client

https://<ESXiHostname>/ui

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. So this is in fact simply the HMTL version? If so...I am familiar with that.

All very confusing...all these version, work arounds and non compatibilities for fufnctionaltiy!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's not really that confusing. Let me break it down for you.

vSphere = vCenter Server + ESXi (one or more). This is a suite of products designed to work closely together. If you don't have vCenter, you don't have the vSphere Client because this is built into vCenter directly.

ESXi = Baremetal (type 1) hypervisor. Can be standalone or clustered, and can be the free version or any one of a paid license. Regardless of your license level, ESXi has built into it a client for the sole purpose of accessing ESXi. It has nothing to do with and no dependency upon vCenter. You access this one at https://<FQDN>/ui. This is called the ESXi embedded host client. Depending on the version of ESXi you have, this host client will be at one of several versions of the client because development is ongoing. If you're having difficulty performing something with this client, the first thing to do would be to update it with the version available on the Fling site here. Instructions on how to do so are posted on that page.

snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. This is very helpful. Many of us are just sharp enough to setup a basic ESXi (type 1) environment for our needs and manage it w/o to much drama but all the variations and cross talk with different terms can make it seem more confusing then it needs to be.

So if I'm understanding correctly the embedded host client will have an update coming soon with additional functionality and stability? I should add the real advantage I see with the current version I just put on a test box is the embed host client seems way more stable with my browsers with less error messages.

Is the Sphere Client client going to be continued to be developed?

I had been using it since implementing ESXi but as mentioned it's not to happy with the latest 6.7v.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So if I'm understanding correctly the embedded host client will have an update coming soon with additional functionality and stability?

Each version of the HTML5 embedded host client brings with it functionality and stability, yes. Although at this point, they've basically implemented almost everything that's possible on a solo ESXi host (at least to my knowledge).

Is the Sphere Client client going to be continued to be developed?

The C# client will not be developed (and has not in years) any further.

I had been using it since implementing ESXi but as mentioned it's not to happy with the latest 6.7v.

It (C# client) will not connect to ESXi beginning with 6.5 U1.

0 Kudos
snowtrails
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, since I don't use vCenter then that client is different then the C# client being discussed. I believe I now understand all this client discussion.

vCenter Client: which we don't use because I don't have

C# Client: old school and heading to the grave

HTML5/embedded: which is highly functionality and getting better all the time

Thx.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, if you don't have vCenter then the only client you can/should use is the embedded host client accessible on a given ESXi host at https://<FQDN>/ui.

0 Kudos