VMware Cloud Community
WILLSHEN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UPS cannot shut down all physical servers after a power outage

First of all, I'd like to thank you for coming in and reading my question. I hope you'll finish it. I may be a little unclear in my presentation.

I have a problem that has been bothering me for a long time, and I hope he gets it resolved soon.

I currently have a model number: SANTAK 6K, which is a UPS that came out in '05 and currently has a WebPower network management card installed.

I have a cabinet with about 5~6 DELL servers, each installed with ESXI6.5, and then some servers based on Wndows version of vCenter, Horizon, etc. in it.

My current requirement is that when the external power goes out, UPS notifies each ESXI server, ESXI safely shuts down one of the virtual machines, and then ESXI shuts down

But since the UPS is older, all I can do is install its management software in a Windows PC, and then the UPS power down notifies that computer to shut down.

So.

Can I get the host ESXI to shut down automatically after this UPS-equipped proxy is shut down?

If the host is turned off, how do I tell the other ESXI to turn off?

This has bothered me for a long time, and UPS manufacturers don't have a solution because it's so early to market.

Thank you all for your help, again.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HI,

I did the same thing with UPS and the "ABB" virtual appliance. In your case, what you can do is create a virtual machine with "Microsoft Windows", place it on a specific Esxi host and if you have HA and DRS, you must make sure that it is never moved automatically.

Proceed with the shutdown program and let this virtual machine shut down after running the shutdown command of the last host. With the shutdown command you can enter how many minutes it must be turned off, so the virtual machine has time to close with the procedure. Another solution is that it is the last Esxi host to close it before it is closed.

The procedure is not simple but it can be done.
I hope I explained myself.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HI,

I did the same thing with UPS and the "ABB" virtual appliance. In your case, what you can do is create a virtual machine with "Microsoft Windows", place it on a specific Esxi host and if you have HA and DRS, you must make sure that it is never moved automatically.

Proceed with the shutdown program and let this virtual machine shut down after running the shutdown command of the last host. With the shutdown command you can enter how many minutes it must be turned off, so the virtual machine has time to close with the procedure. Another solution is that it is the last Esxi host to close it before it is closed.

The procedure is not simple but it can be done.
I hope I explained myself.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
WILLSHEN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI:

Thank you very much for your recovery, it gives me hope.

There is no HA with DRS in the current environment, so your proposal is feasible.

What I do now is create a dedicated PC in VM ESXI

Then install the supporting software in it.

Now I'm working on how to connect him to ESXI.

If the other ESXI will automatically shut down after this PC is turned off

This needs to be implemented through scripts and the like.

I'm working on it.

Thanks so much for the advice, I think I'll be successful.

Many thanks.

WILL.

Monday, June 1, 2020.

wowxql

wowxql@sina.com

Signed by NetEase Mail Master

0 Kudos