VMware Cloud Community
jhawes01
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid USB Device In Remote Console

Greetings!

After our System Administrators updated the VMware Tools on our v6.7 vSphere / ESXI cluster, in new VM builds, I am unable to mount my local USB drive without getting a popup (below)

"USB Device not recognized
The last device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

This VM is a Windows 2016 Datacenter system, fully activated, and under VM Hardware, the USB1 shows my locally inserted USB drive.  Lower, under the Other setting, for controllers I have "USB controller (Auto connect Disabled)" and no other USB controllers.

Compatibility is set for ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)

The WIndows System administrators that support the VMware cluster are at a loss, as several other VMs within the same cluster, still stating there is a VMware tools update available, work without any issues, with multiple types of USB drives, USB 1.1, 2 and 3.

Is there any suggestions I can pass along to the Windows SysAdmins for them to look at, perhaps to resolve this USB passthrough problem?

Thank you,

Santa (Jonathan) Hawes
As of March 27th, there are 272 days until Christmas Eve, so there is LOTS of time to plan your shopping!
214 : This reminder brought to you as a holiday reminder by “SANTA CLAUS – The Original Overnight Delivery Service!”
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@jhawes01,

Please share these links with your Windows SysAdmins which might be helpful in troubleshooting this issue to resolution.

Troubleshooting USB device connection and functionality in a Fusion virtual machine (1027964) (vmwar...

Also, note this solution has resolved issues per a previous VMTN post.

Solved: All external USB devices now seen as not recognize... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos