VMware Cloud Community
Mangosniper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Display of vm state in vsphere webinterface is wrong

Hi there,

I have the following problem: When I shut down a VM the state shown in the vsphere web ui is wrong. You can see in the screenshot that the machine is displayed as online in the dropdown but as offline in the overview. But its not only a display error. I can not start the VM over the context menu in the drop down since its marked as already online there, so the start-item is grey.

I have Version 6.0.0 Build 4514981, using Chrome, VM is Windows 8.1 with VMware-Tools installed. Any suggestions?

pastedImage_0.png

PS: I had to choose an area where to post this discussion but most of them were greyed out, so I chose vSphere Host Client whereas I would have prefered something like vSphere Web Client?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

is this happening with only one VM or with multiple VMs?

if only one vm is affected can you try to vmotion it to another host and try the same steps power off \ power on?

You are on vsphere 6.0, so do you see the same behaviour in vsphere client?

0 Kudos
Mangosniper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• Its happening with multiple VMs on different hosts
  • No vMotion licence so I can not migrate but as already mentioned, it happens on hosts of different machines
  • I will try the client, I usally just use the webinterface

What I saw today: If I shutdown the machine from the web ui the state will be shown correct. The error occurs when I shut down the (windows) machine directly in the rdp-session with "shutdown /s -t 0"

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Did you try vsphere client? the same issue?

0 Kudos
Mangosniper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh sorry, I forgot to answer this question. Yes, I tried with vSphere Client and no, the Problem does not occur there. What I have to add, I have huge problems with the WMware Client Integration Plug-in. I Installed it several times but with Chrome aswell as IE I always get a message when starting the web client that the plugin updated it´s certificates and I should restart Firefox (I dont have Firefox).

Maybe the Plug-In is not working properly and thats the cause for the wrong displayed vm state but I did not manage to get the Plug-In working.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

ok, if there is no issue with vsphere client this could be an issue with inventory service on vcenter or web-client itself.

Inventory service DB can be resetted Resetting the VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Inventory Service's Individual Data Providers (2113435) | VM... , data provider is  vpx.

Or, this could be an issue with available memory for web-client.

When this issue appered? Were there any changes before this happened for the first time?

0 Kudos
Mangosniper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Finkiez,

this problem is present for at least one month. Maybe longer but I am not that long in that company yet and it looks like no one else noticed this behaviour yet. Therfore I can not say if any changes caused this.

I will try your solution in a week or so when our own software release is done since it is not that critical. How intrusive is this procedure, can something get broken (of course always something can brake but how likely is it)? I plan to backup the vCenter appliance with Veeam if anything goes wrong.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Sure, take a backup before trying anythig. Also if you have external PSC for your VC backup it as well.

Resseting only 'vpx'provider is not disruptive and you shouldn't lose anything. Don't try to reset any other providers.

If this doesn't help, this should be investigate deeper with logs from VC.

0 Kudos
cmor1701e
Contributor
Contributor

Just a quick thought before you dive deeper.  Have you tried refreshing the web console page?  It often lags and does NOT update (even in the latest version). Just press the refresh icon to the left of your logon name or pers F5 to refresh the page.

0 Kudos