VMware Cloud Community
sdxsdx
Contributor
Contributor

Add new vm with 1CPU, 2 sockets (or more) not working

When I attempt to create a new VM and get to the virtual hardware configuration part, I expand the CPU options.. There, I should be able to select the number of CPU sockets, and the number of cores per socket. If I only configure 1 socket, I can't choose more than one core per socket! However, if I choose 2 or more sockets, I can choose between 1-4 cores per socket. If I create the VM with only 1 socket and 1 core, I can then edit the VM to have two cores per socket by using the traditional fat client (vSphere client). To me, this sounds like a bug. Can anyone else reproduce this? Is this a known issue?

Some info about my config:

ESXi 6.0 U2 - official UI client used

1 CPU with 4 sockets (no HT)

ESXi free license

No vCenter - UI is installed directly on the vmware host

Guest OS is configured as Debian 8 64-bit

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

It is not a bug.

It thick client you specify the sockets and cores per socket, so the software sums up the total vCPUs you get.

example: 2 sockets, 4 cores per socket= 8vCPUs.

In webclient you only have to specify you need 8vCPUs and how many cores per socket, it then calculates the number of sockets.

example: 8 CPU with 2 core per socket, so it will put them in 4 sockets.

Check the linked KB as well.

VMware KB: Virtual machine CPU and socket configuration within the vSphere Web Client

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
GregSmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ran into this today as well, and I agree with sdxsdx... seems like a bug to me.

Sockets vs. cores can affect the licensing for various products, and the web GUI shouldn't be making that decision for me.

Greg

0 Kudos
TedBWork
Contributor
Contributor

This is an older thread but I thought I would update what I found.  This socket report was the case with me as well and I had found that my VM was reporting its version was 8 and the other VMs are version 10.  I have scheduled an upgrade of the VM compatibility.

0 Kudos