vSphere Host Client

View Only

A few useful things to have

• 1.  A few useful things to have

Posted Jan 15, 2016 06:24 PM

This is more of a feature-request topic than anything else. I have been playing with the host-client plugin since fairly early on and I continue to be impressed with the progress. There are, however, a few little things that would in my opinion tremendously improve usability.

1) "Manage with vCenter" should resolve a URL

--> Right now, this button forwards you the the vCenter web client by IP address (I assume from vpxa.cfg?) but most folks use DNS and for anyone like me with signed certs, this causes a certificate error in most cases since the CN will mismatch. It would be nice if we did a DNS lookup and forwarded to the associated FQDN if one exists.

2) The datastore browser has no sorting options. For large datastores with lots of items, this makes finding things harder than it needs to be. This is especially true of VSAN datastores where there are both UUIDs and symlinks in the datastore.

--> I am pleased with the fact, however, that directory operations work properly on VSAN.

3) In the dvSwitch, we have no ability to remove uplinks. dvSwitch management options from a host are pretty limited anyway, but being able to add/remove pNics to/from the uplink set would be a useful thing to have in the new client. This is possible via the CLI and C# client.

I'll reply to myself here as I find other things.

Moderators, if there is a better place for this to be, please let me know.

Thanks,

~jetaylor