VMware Cloud Community
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vihostupdate.pl - not working in 5.5 ?!??

Hey All

I've mainly used 'vihostupdate.pl' to install VIBs in the past. Unfortunately now that i have a 5.5 vCenter and a 5.5 ESXi host when i try and run the following command:

vihostupdate.pl --server serverx --username xxx --password xxx --query

I keep getting "This operation is NOT supported on 5.5.0 platform" - Is this true ? or am i doing something wrong ?!?!?!?

Many thanks in advance

Munster99

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For ESXi 5.0 and later use the esxcli command, e.g. esxcli software vib update ...

André

0 Kudos
SergioSa
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem on my lab.

I installed ESXi 5.5 and I am trying to install some Realtek drivers.

I am not able to do it using vihostupdate.pl from ESXCLI neither esxupdate from ESXi shell.

ESXCLI returns "This operation ist not supported on 5.5.0 platform"

ESXi shell returns " This program is not meant to be used directly.  Please use esxcli software instead."

Does Any one has a solution???

Regards all

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I am not able to do it using vihostupdate.pl from ESXCLI ...

Please clarify this, or - even better - post the command you are trying to run.

André

0 Kudos
SergioSa
Contributor
Contributor

Of course.

Here is the command I am trying to use and it's return:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --username root --install --bundle c:\Temp\INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-1.3.19.12.1-offline_bundle-185976.zip

Enter password:XXXXXXXXX

This operation is NOT supported on 5.5.0 platform.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>

And the other command I am trying to use, directly on ESXi ssh is:

/bin # esxupdate --bundle /tmp/INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-1.3.19.12.1-offline_bundle-185976.zip update

Usage: This program is not meant to be used directly.  Please use esxcli software instead.

esxupdate: error: no such option: --bundle

/bin #

These are the commands I am trying to use  to install the NIC cards.

Regards.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you want to use on ESXi 5.x is the esxcli command. Assuming the bundle you posted is supported for ESXi 5.5, use e.g.

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-1.3.19.12.1-offline_bundle-185976.zip --dry-run

If the output looks like what you expected, run the command again without the --dry-run option.

André

0 Kudos
SergioSa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you André.

It worked.

0 Kudos
mmosher
Contributor
Contributor

When I try running esxcli software vib install -d "<directory\bundle.zip" I get a message telling me I must specify a server name.

When I modify the command to add -s <server's IP> I get the same result. The same thing happens if I use --server=<ServerIP>

Any help?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post the complete command, and let me know on which OS you are running the command.

André

PS: Please consider to open a new discussion, rather than replying to an old one. You'll usually get more responses this way.

0 Kudos