VMware Cloud Community
qlpwork
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere CLI 4.1 on Windows Server 2003 x64 = Fail?

I installed the latest release of vSphere CLI 4.1 on one of my vCenter Server 4.1 systems running Windows Server 2003 x64 and I now get lovely error messages when trying to run any of the scripts. One would think that the package can be run on a 64-bit install of Windows, just like vCenter Server 4.1.

perl.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because libxml2.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Can't load 'C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/site/lib/auto/ML/LibXML/Common/Common.dll' for module XML::LibXML::Common: load_file:The specified module could not be found at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/site/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 12

Compilation failed in require at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/site/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 12.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/site/lib/XML/LibXML.pm line 12.

Compilation failed in require at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/lib/VMware/VICommon.pm line 11.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/lib/VMware/VICommon.pm line 11.

Compilation failed in require at C:/Program Files (x86)/VMware/VMware vSphere CLI/Perl/lib/VMware/VIRuntime.pm line 15.

Compilation failed in require at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin\vicfg-hostops.pl line 8.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin\vicfg-hostops.pl line 8.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you take a look at vCLI 4.1 release notes - http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/vcli41/vsp4_41_vcli_relnotes.html, you'll see that Win2k3 64bit is not one of the supported platforms, only 32bit ....

I'm not sure if vCLI 4.0 ever supported Win2k3 64bit but I'm guessing that is the problem

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

qlpwork
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed that when I was downloading the documentation for 4.1. Kind of a bummer, since we only have limited licenses for Windows Server 2008 x64.

0 Kudos