VMware Cloud Community
TSr201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Not seeing any Performance Metrics from the perf.pl script. Samples: 0

I'm using the very nice perf.pl script authored by a VMware guy and available on this site.

What I've learned is that after commenting out the VIM2 package in the header of the script that it should work on 4.1 vSphere.

However, What I've found is that I either don't have any data, or something changed and I don't know what it is yet.

My results have all indicated that I don't have any performance metrics returning for any counter since my Samples = 0, as returned in the script.

This is troublesome, since I 'know' I have realtime data as you can see it in the vSphere client, and that I have 'some' data from earlier in the month that was stored. Of course at some point in time it stopped. What I don't understand is how.

So, I'm asking the community if they can point me in a direction.

The only action that has made any sense is that the vmware tools for the vm were old, and have since been updated against the VM I'm testing/running the script against.

What I need to understand is:

1. How do I 'turn' on the storing of the metric data?

2. What else should I look at in the config to make certain this info is retrievable?

3. If its not a config issue, could it be a script issue? that one of the methods changed?

I've posted a heavily commented script here, while I've been troubleshooting where there 'is' any data.

The static data from the entities hardware properties are there, but the array that the performance metrics are presumed to be in are empty.  = 0 

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TSr201110141
Contributor
Contributor

More information.

I've since taken this script and run it against a diff vm on a different environment.

It has produced some results!

But it doesn't have everything.

For example it printed out CPU MEM but didn't have any DISK usage information.

How do you 'turn on' these metrics if they are off?

Thanks!

0 Kudos