VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Looking for some help with esxcli commands....

I do not have much experience with the esxcli commands….Can someone tell me the esxcli equivalents for the following commands ESX 4 commands?

ESX 4 Command--  esxcfg-module -s IntMode=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 e1000e

My Guess--       esxcli system module parameters set --module IntMode=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 e1000e

ESX 4 Command--  esxcfg-boot –b

My Guess--       Could not find an equivalent,  reboot the ESXi system?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I moved your question to the CLI Community.

Luc.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi dschelesky,

There is document called Command-Line Management of vSphere 5.0 for Service Console Users which provides a list of legacy esxcfg-* to esxcli conversion. You can also use it for ESX(i) 4.x, but note that not all new esxcli options in vSphere 4.1 and 5.0 will be available in older releases such as ESX 4.

Anytime you're not sure of the flags, you can specify a --help which will give you additional details and you can always refer to the documentation for more examples.

~ # esxcli system module parameters set --help
Usage: esxcli system module parameters set [cmd options]

Description:
  set                   Set the load time parameters for the given VMkernel module.

Cmd options:
  -f|--force            Skip VMkernel module validity checks and set parameters for a module (or alias) with the given name.
  -m|--module=<str>     The name of the VMkernel module to set parameters for. (required)
  -p|--parameter-string=<str>
                        The string containing the parameters for this module. (required)

So for your example, it would look like the following:

~ # esxcli system module parameters set -m e1000e -p 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

There is no equilvent of esxcfg-boot in ESXCLI since that was specific to classic ESX Service Console, ESXCLI was created primarily for ESXi going forward.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thank You.....I tried to figure out using that document you referenced, but I have not used it enough to be sure.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

The document is useful if you want to figure out which namespaces in ESXCLI to use, but in general if you're not sure, you can explore by specifying --help to get a list of options for a given command.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We tried to run it and received  the following:

# esxcli system module parameters set -m e1000e -p 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Unable to set module parameters the following params are invalid: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you try enclosing it with quotes and see if that works

esxcli system module parameters set -m e1000e -p "0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My customer said he tried that already...but I will verify....thanks again for your help!

FYI.....this is the KB article we are trying to resolve  in vSphere 5 with esxcli

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101031...

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I just tried and that did not work, I've seen other examples where these characters are valid so wondering if that input string is really valid. I would recommend filing an SR to track this. You could also have customer verify by using legacy esxcfg-* command to see if that's successful, if so, there could be a but with parameters input from ESXCLI.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The old command still worked....that would have been easier to know that....lol

Thanks.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, the legacy esxcfg-* commands have been depercated but are still available. I would still recommend that you file an SR to track this, as these legacy commands will eventually be removed in favor of ESXCLI.

0 Kudos