VMware Cloud Community
Caladan2011
Contributor
Contributor

How to do a quiet install of the VSphere v4.1 CLI for windows?

Hi,

I'm trying to create an install script for the windows 4.1.0-254719 version of the VSphere CLI that installs to a specific directory but does it quietly with no user interaction.  The popup that you get when running the installer from the command line with /? doesn't really help as the /v option listed just says "Parameters to pass to the installer", and the installation/reference PDF doesn't provide the extra details.  The slient portion seems straight forward as the popup lists the following option:-

/s : Hide initialization dialog. For slient mode use /s /v/qn.

So I'm assuming I need a combination of /s /v/qn plus a path parameter to specify the install directory.

If anyone could provide the example syntax I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Andy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Caladan2011
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy,

That's a document I'd not seen before.  I'll see if the params listed on page 12 work with the CLI installer, and update with the results.

[update]

I've tried the following without success.

start /wait f:\VMware\VM_CLI\VMware-VSphere-CLI-4.1.0-254719.exe /L*v c:\temp\vcli4.1.log /s /v"/qn INSTALLDIR=\"D:\Program Files\VMware\CLI\\""

It just opens the help popup window, and doesn't create a log file.

Regards

Andy

Message was edited by: Caladan2011

0 Kudos
Caladan2011
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After a bit of tweaking the following command line does the quiet install that I wanted.

start /wait f:\VMWare\VM_CLI\VMware-VSphere-CLI-4.1.0-254719.exe /s  /v"/qb INSTALLDIR=\"D:\Program Files\VMware\CLI\\""

/s = silent (no user interaction)

/v = commands to pass to the installer including :-

/qb = show a basic user interface to let the user know something is happening.  I could have used /qn which is no interface at all, but this is part of a larger installation process, and the other steps show a basic user interface.

INSTALLDIR = where the CLI software will be installed.

As the installer is an MSIEXEC, the details for parameters inside the /v"    " can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262(WS.10).aspx.  One thing to note is that double quote characters inside the parameter list need to be escaped with a \.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

0 Kudos