VMware Cloud Community
dexdexdexdexdex
Contributor
Contributor

ESXcli side by side configuration error?

Hi, I'm trying to play around with the vSphere 5 CLI stuff. I get this on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 machines:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is in
correct. Please see the application event log for more detail.

Weirdly, on a Windows 7 x86 (but not x64 weirdly) machine it runs correctly and I get a number of options and can run all the commands correctly.

I thought this article here has the list of supported platforms for vSphere 5 CLI:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/vcli50/vsp5_50_vcli_relnotes.html

---

For this release, vCLI is supported on the following Windows platforms:

• Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
  • Windows Vista Enterprise SP1 (32 bit and 64 bit)
  • Windows  2008 (64 bit)

---

Am I missing something? Are other people running into this side by side configuration error as well? Do you have to do something sneaky to get around it? Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dexdexdexdexdex
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody got a hint? I'm still in the dark.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I moved your thread to the CLI Community where you have a better chance of getting an answer.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've not seen this problem before but a quick search online yields the same problem for various applications and one thread I noticed you may need to run the application as "Admin".

Can you try to launch the cmd prompt and do a "run as admin", then cd over to esxcli.exe and try to run it again and see if you have the problem?

0 Kudos