VMware Cloud Community
AhmedTabl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cli error

Hi,

I installed VSphere CLi and downloaded the Cli guide so I can use command interface.

when I try to run the command i receive this error.

The application has failed to start because libxml2.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I'm looking at the vCLI's release notes, I'm assuming you're trying to install the latest version which should be vCLI 4.0u1?

It looks like the only supported OSes for vCLI are the following:

You can install vSphere CLI on the following Windows platforms:

• Windows XP SP2 32 bit*

• Windows XP SP2 64 bit*

• Windows Vista Enterprise SP1 32 bit*

• Windows Vista Enterprise SP1 64 bit*

You can install vSphere CLI on the following Linux platforms:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 (64 bit)*

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 (32 bit)*

• SUSE Enterprise Server 10 SP1 32 bit*

• Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit*

Windows Server 2003 does not look like it's supported from their release notes. When you attempt to install any of these exe's from VMware (e.g. vCLI,vSphere SDK for Perl, PowerCLI,etc) there should be an installer log that is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp and there should be a log file named vminst.log, see if you can do a search for it and figure the location on your server. You should probably only have one or a few. Delete the logs, re-install and ensure they are being generated and take a look at the errors. I'm assuming there are some packages that it expects that is not available by default on Windows Server 2003 system and since it's not on the list of supported OSes, might be hard to get support from VMware if you were to file an SR.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

What OS version are you trying to install the vCLI on? I remember seeing an old post about this problem where you had to logout and log back in for the changes to take effect. You could also uninstall and try to reinstall vCLI and issue a reboot and see if you still run into the issue.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
AhmedTabl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the OS I'm using is windows 2003 std 32 bit

I uninstalled and reinstall it again and than restarted the server nothing changes.

I don't knew where is the problem ?

please advice.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I'm looking at the vCLI's release notes, I'm assuming you're trying to install the latest version which should be vCLI 4.0u1?

It looks like the only supported OSes for vCLI are the following:

You can install vSphere CLI on the following Windows platforms:

• Windows XP SP2 32 bit*

• Windows XP SP2 64 bit*

• Windows Vista Enterprise SP1 32 bit*

• Windows Vista Enterprise SP1 64 bit*

You can install vSphere CLI on the following Linux platforms:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 (64 bit)*

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 (32 bit)*

• SUSE Enterprise Server 10 SP1 32 bit*

• Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit*

Windows Server 2003 does not look like it's supported from their release notes. When you attempt to install any of these exe's from VMware (e.g. vCLI,vSphere SDK for Perl, PowerCLI,etc) there should be an installer log that is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp and there should be a log file named vminst.log, see if you can do a search for it and figure the location on your server. You should probably only have one or a few. Delete the logs, re-install and ensure they are being generated and take a look at the errors. I'm assuming there are some packages that it expects that is not available by default on Windows Server 2003 system and since it's not on the list of supported OSes, might be hard to get support from VMware if you were to file an SR.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
Voigtlae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried to follow your link and download the Build 198790 vSphere CLI) 4.0 Update 1. But I can not find a download link.

If I go through the normal Download I just get the vsphere cli 4.0 without the update. Could you just help me with a link

thanks.

0 Kudos
Voigtlae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks alot.

Martin Voigtländer

0 Kudos