VMware Cloud Community
bonne1
Contributor
Contributor

Backup/restore esxi 4 host with vSphere CLI fails with "Restore failed: fault.MismatchedBundle.summary"

Well. Subject says it all.

Trying to put a backup from one (free) esxi 4 host to another. I a doing:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-cfgbackup.pl --server 172.1

7.7.12 -s c:\esx.txt

on one and:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-cfgbackup.pl --server 172.1

7.4.4 -l c:\esx.txt

on the other.

Getting:

The restore operation will reboot the host.

Type 'yes' to continue:

yes

Uploading config bundle to configBundle.tgz ...

Performing restore ...

Restore failed: fault.MismatchedBundle.summary

Exiting maintenance mode ...

Unable to exit maintenance mode: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

Then I am trying:

7.4.4 -l -f c:\esx.txt

Uploading config bundle to configBundle.tgz ...

Performing restore ...

And the host reboots. Am I then happy? No, because when the host comes up - nothing has been loaded to it.

Both hosts are patched to the same build.

Why this error and how to make it work?

Regards, Lars.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With ESXi Free the API that the vCLI uses is read only. Taking a backup is a read operation but restoring it is a write. Trying putting the host into evaluation mode before you do the restore. The vSphere client will tell you that the license may be expired, but you can ignore that and run the restore.

You should also have both ESXi hosts at the same version. If not there is a force option you can use to restore to a different build of ESXi.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

Restore failed: fault.MismatchedBundle.summary

Exiting maintenance mode ...

Unable to exit maintenance mode: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

0 Kudos
bonne1
Contributor
Contributor

Tried to load the configuration on an ESX in evaluation mode - exactly same outcome.

Regards, Lars.

0 Kudos
jjsoltys
Contributor
Contributor

I was successful backing up ESXI 4 (with a paid support license) to ESXI 4 installed fresh from CD and patched to current using the -f flag. I noticed in the sample you provided you have the -f flag between the -l and the backup file. I don't know if that makes a difference, but it might be worth moving -f elsewhere.

0 Kudos