VMware Cloud Community
syard
Contributor
Contributor

Add an MD3220i into the ESX rule set

Hello everyone,

I am still pretty new to VMWARE but have deployed 5 different Hosts for different clients using Vsphere 4 Hypervisor (or ESXi 4.1, the naming conventions and changes VMware makes still confuse me a little). I have used the standalone converter to convert running physical machines and have installed fresh guest OS's to new hosts and managed those VM's but that's about the extent of it. never had any issues and I feel pretty comfortable with ESXi and using it to simplify/streamline my networks. That being said, I have yet to get into advanced ESXi concepts until now... setting up a SAN.

Now I have a nice new Dell PowerVault MD3220i (SAN) and I have a client with the paid version of ESXi 4.0 to which we will be deploying this MD3220i.  the problem is this: I am at my office trying to setup this SAN in a test environment, and we have the free version of ESXi 4.1   I have been using the Dell PowerVault MD32xxi/MD36xxi Configuration Guide for VMware ESX4.1 to set this SAN up and have had no real issues until I came across this section:

STEP5: ADD AN MD36XXI INTO THE ESX RULE SET
To use MD3600i with ESX 4.1 and ESX 4.1 Update 1, the MD36xxi PID has to be added to the manageable device list for VMW_SATP_LSI module. Otherwise, the guest host will not be able to see the mapped volumes and perform I/O's. The following command needs to be run from the command line on each ESX host before mapping virtual disks to ESX guest OS’s. .......

.............prior to enabling the iSCSI initiator to prepare the ESX host to connect to the PowerVault SAN, on the ESX host you need to run

#/*example to add MD 3600i VID/PID (following the MD3200i format)*/
#esxcli nmp satp addrule -V DELL -M MD36xxi -s VMW_SATP_LSI
This command adds MD36xxi devices into the device list for VMW_SATP_LSI module.
Then proceed with Step6 and enable the iSCSI Software Initiator on ESX hosts

I started hitting google hard... to learn how to use the CLI on an ESX host as I have never had the need to configure any of my hosts using the CLI (Vsphere Client has worked just fine for me) 

I installed the vCLI on my Windows 7 Laptop and have been trying to figure out how to connect to my ESX host and issue the command needed to accomplish STEP5 above, but I can't even find out how to connect to my host using the vCLI or even if it is supported on the free version of ESXi... I have found many different answers as to it even being supported on the free version. it sure would be helpful if I could run this from a command line on my ESX Host as I would rather test my SAN setup here before I go live on site..  Please help, I may pull what's left of my hair out :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
0 Replies