VMware {code} Community
roffer12
Contributor
Contributor

Updating/Removing Extension and Web Client plugin

Hi,

I've noticed that when we unregister the extension/plugin using the MOB, that the Web client plugin still shows in list of installed plugins (in the web client) - and the UI components are still present - at least the integration points are still registered ( so I still have a portlet showing in the summary view)

During development I've been logging into the vCenter server, stopping vsphere-client, removing all my files and then restarting the vsphere-client service.

But that doesn't seem like its reasonable for a cusomter....

How should I handle removing the web client plugin/service for customers ?

I'm using the HTML bridge if that makes any difference.

Thanks

richard.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

After unregistering the plugin extension from vCenter the plugin is no longer visible to new user sessions (i.e. you must login again to see it removed).

If your plugin UI is still visible it must be because you are logging into a vCenter server where the extension is still active.

0 Kudos
roffer12
Contributor
Contributor

Laurent,

That isn't the behavior we are seeing.

I disable the plugin in the web client

I unregister the plugin using the MOB

I log out of the web console.

When I log back into the web console, the plugin is still showing in the administration->Client plugins list.

Examining the filesystem of the vCenter server and there are still files residing in various directories that are related to the plugin after the plugin was unregistered in the MOB.

(this is my private vCenter so I'm the only user).

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The fact that the plugin still shows in the Client plugins list after the vCenter extension is unregistered is a known issue, the Virgo server cache is not updated automatically and this is solved by restarting the server.  But this doesn't change the fact that the plugin UI is no longer available to new user sessions, so it's the same as the plugin not being available.

Also, the fact that files are still present doesn't affect anything.  This is a local cache that is not being used while the extension is not set.

0 Kudos