VMware {code} Community
MadhumitaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Task name is shown different on vSphere web client 6.0 and vsphere client 6.0

I have created a task on vCenter 6.0.

Task name as is shown different on vSphere web client 6.0 and vSphere client 6.0.

Task name is shown correctly on vSphere client 6.0.

But on vSphere web client 6.0 there is additional '.label' attached at end of task name.

Attached web client screenshot for reference.

26 Replies
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Task name is localized using the following key:

taskInfo.getDescriptionId() + ".label";

You can go into the following folder:

/etc/vmware/vsphere-client/cmCatalog for linux

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-client\cmCatalog for Windows

and look for your localization file.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
NeuroJava
Contributor
Contributor

Please check the locations mentioned above for the localization files.

We had seen this earlier and reported this issue which resulted in this being filed as a bug in vSphere Web client, ( PR# 1412383).

0 Kudos
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We had seen this earlier and reported this issue which resulted in this being filed as a bug in vSphere Web client, ( PR# 1412383).

The PR is about event descriptions not formatted properly.

0 Kudos
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MadhumitaJ‌: Did you manage to solve your problem?

If not please elaborate further. I would like to nail this down. If this turns out to be a product issue, we have to know to get it fix in the very next release.

0 Kudos
MadhumitaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Task name is shown different on vSphere web client 6.0 and vsphere client 6.0

Peter_Ivanov

I checked 

/etc/vmware/vsphere-client/cmCatalog for linux

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-client\cmCatalog for Windows

The localization file shows key-value pair exactly as I have configured.

However, I am facing the same issue on Windows as well as on Linux.

0 Kudos
MadhumitaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Following are Key-Value pair that that I can see in C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-client\cmCatalog for Windowsin  :

Mount Backup Image Task.category = "Mount Task"

Mount Backup Image Task.label = "Mount Backup Image"

Mount Backup Image Task.fullformat = "Mount Task Info"

Mount Backup Image Task.summary = "Mount Task"

The task name is shown as 'Mount Backup Image Task.label ' instead of 'Mount Backup Image'.

0 Kudos
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MadhumitaJMadhumitaJ,

The key in the java properties file cannot contain spaces (it can, but they must be escaped .properties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Please try to remove (or escape) the property keys from your localization files.

0 Kudos
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In 6.0 there is a change in the localization logic of the Web Client. Previously it was relying on the vCenter's vmsg files.

Now the vmsg files are converted to .properties file. Here comes the difference...

0 Kudos
technova
Contributor
Contributor

HI

I have also found similar issue with vsphere web client 6.0.

Task name are coming correctly on vsphere client 6.0 , while in vsphere web client 6.0

there is .label'  coming with task name.

For example following task name are coming in vsphere client and vsphere web client

Snapshot Backup Now For VM (correct) for vsphere client 6.0.

BackupNowForVM.label (Incorrect) for vsphere web client 6.0.

There is  key .label is coming in the task name of vsphere web client.

Anybody have workaround on this??

0 Kudos
respodu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I upgraded to vCenter 6.0b and I'm having this issue now but only on one of the vCenters...

0 Kudos
Peter_Ivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you elaborate further on your setup? How many vCenter Servers do you have and where is your plugin registered?

0 Kudos
ssumichrast2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this issue now too, but on both of my vCenter Server Appliances.

I have an open SR waiting for resolution....

0 Kudos
hamenofim
Contributor
Contributor

We are also having the same issue - task names show wrong (we see the key in the vmsg file with ".label" instead of the description) in vSphere Web Client version 6.

It doesn't look like there is a resolution for this problem yet.

We too have an open SR with VMware (#15788656710). It contains a recording of the problem and steps to reproduce with our plugin.

One interesting thing I found: editing the webclient properties file (/etc/vmware/vsphere-client/webclient.properties) and setting "show.allusers.tasks" to "true" makes the problem go away. This is not a valid workaround, as it is not recommended to set this value, but it may provide insight into finding the problem.

0 Kudos
kevinl964911
Contributor
Contributor

We have very much the same issue since upgrading our PSC and VCs from 6.0U2 to 6.5.

The show.allusers.tasks is already set to true.

All the tasks that are run show in Recent Tasks pane as long convoluted descriptions, for example, migrating a VM to an alternat host gives: "Virtual.Machine.relocate.label"

This format is also what is seen in our host profiles, for example the NTP server setting is listed as "com.vmware.vim.profile.PolicyOption.FixedNTPOption.label"

All this was fine as v6.0.

We run exclusively the appliances.

0 Kudos
a1exp
Contributor
Contributor

We have exactly the same issue, it affects both the older flash and newer HTML5 client.

We're on the latest 6.5 build (5318154) of the VCSA and it affects task names and host profiles.

Oddly I've got a test vCenter server that is on the same build that doesn't have the issue.

I thought it was because I seemed to be missing the /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/cmCatalog folder and contents but copying that across from my working vCenter server doesn't fix the issue.

Anybody any ideas?

0 Kudos
BW23
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've have exactly tthe same issues with VCSA 6.5 latest build, is anyone aware of a fix for this?  I will be logging a support call with Vmware on Monday so if I get any further info will post on here.

Thanks,

Baz

0 Kudos
a1exp
Contributor
Contributor

There's a fix suggested in my other thread (Re: Placeholder labels shown in vSphere Web Client 6.5 ) but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

If you get a fix that works please post back.

0 Kudos
bazw23
Contributor
Contributor

I have an open case for this with Vmware as it is affecting my VCSA build 5318154. They are classing it as a new bug for 6.5 or at least thats what they told me and it's now with their Engineering team. I will update on this thread once they have provided a fix

0 Kudos
A1exp1
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, I've updated VCSA to 6.5e and the issue persists so the latest build doesn't appear to resolve.

0 Kudos