VMware {code} Community
Nullpoint
Contributor
Contributor

Restricting Flex w/ HTML Bridge content to Flex Server

Hi,

I was looking into how we might restrict our Flex plugin (with HTML bridge content) to deploy only to the Flex server instance.  Removing the type="HTML" also seems to disable the bridge content.  I could find any documentation or forum post on this.

We would like to restrict a separte Flex/HTML plugin to the 6.0 and 6.5 Flex server instance while allowing a HTML only plugin to deploy to the HTML server instance.  Our Java and HTML content are currently shared between the two, but we where hoping to accomplish this separation of plugins such that we could "deprecate" our Flex plugin and move the Java/HTML beyond the Flex server.

We have stopped development on the Flex client side, but need to provide both instances until our HTML plugin has feature parity.

Any help would appreciated.

-Bryant Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hi Bryant,

I assume you're using SDK 6.5 or 6.5u1.  The doc is in the PDF file Getting_Started_with_vSphere_HTML_Client_SDK.pdf inside the /docs directory.

(since SDK 6.7 it is only online at Online Documentation - vSphere Client SDK Developer Guide - VMware {code} )

- To prevent a plugin from deploying in the vSphere HTML client, just omit the attribute type="html"  in plugin-package.xml

- To prevent a plugin from deploying in the vSphere Flex client: (this can only be done since version 6.5u1) add this 2nd dependency in plugin-package.xml

<pluginPackage id="com.vmware.vsphere.client.html" version="6.5.0" />

So if you let users deploy both plugins, they will only see your Flex plugin in all 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7 Flex clients.  And they will only see your new HTML plugin in 6.5u1 and up.  The only problem will be for users of the HTML Client 6.5 where both plugins could be deployed if they are both registered  (assuming they have a different plugin-package id and/or version).  My recommendation is to tell users that your new HTML plugin is only compatible with version vSphere HTML Client 6.5u1, i.e. they should only registered it with vCenter 6.5u1 and up.

0 Kudos
Nullpoint
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply,

The issue is with the bridge HTML content.  When removing the type="html" we lose our bridged HTML content (i.e. we get 404 in our dialogs).  We have already moved some of the Flex features to bridged HTML content and need to continue showing it in Flex.

The goal was to produce a final Flex w/ bridge HTML plugin artifact which we could ship along with the new HTML plugin.  To do this we wanted to restrict the Flex plugin to the Flex server (with the bridge content) to avoid OSGI package conflicts.

If removing type="html" is the only mechinism to limit Flex to the Flex server we'll have to approach this from a different angle.  Perhaps I misunderstood how the HTML content deploys, but I thought bridge HTML content is served by the Flex server instance.

-Bryant

0 Kudos
Nullpoint
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry,

This worked as prescribed.  Had an error in our build implementation.

-Bryant

0 Kudos
painewaide
Contributor
Contributor

The user wants to know that it will be able to manage it in such way where the user access with the following point which will be able to manage it in such way where the netgear r6700 review will amaze with the work perfectly.

0 Kudos