VMware {code} Community
erikDoesStorage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Object relationships - many to many

I have a question about objects added to the inventory that have many to many relationships.

I looked at the Chassis/Rack examples but this illustrate a many to one relationship. 

In my case, I have object A, the equivalent of Chassis.  I have another object P, which is not a physical organizational entity but an organizational one.

Object P can contain one or more entities of Object A and a particular A instance will only occur once in a specific instance of P.  This is like the Chassis/Rack relationship.

Where things differ is that there can be multiple instances of P and they can all contain references to the the same instance of A.

Thus an Object A instance can belong to many instances of object P and an Object P  instance can contain many instances of Object A.

It is unclear to me from having looked at the examples for related objects if this many to many type relationship is supported.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, I don't see why many to many relationships couldn't be handled in the UI. i.e we could modify the Chassis/Rack sample code so that a chassis' Related Objects list contains multiple racks.

0 Kudos