VMware {code} Community
dloverin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to show/hide global views?

We would like to be able to able to show/hide a partially implemented global view in the Flex client that is implemented in HTML. We want to keep the full featured Flex client but be able to get feedback on our HTML content. I don't see show to add metadata to a global view since metadata requires a selected object.

Is there a way to optionally show/hide HTML global views?

Thanks,

-Darrell

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi Darrell,

You are right that it is not possible to control the visibility of a global view through some property condition in plugin.xml, but what you could do is add a button in the view's Flex version to open the new HTML version for users interested in providing feedback.  i.e. the HTML view can be defined in plugin.xml but only be accessible through a navigation event from another view.

--Laurent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi Darrell,

You are right that it is not possible to control the visibility of a global view through some property condition in plugin.xml, but what you could do is add a button in the view's Flex version to open the new HTML version for users interested in providing feedback.  i.e. the HTML view can be defined in plugin.xml but only be accessible through a navigation event from another view.

--Laurent

0 Kudos
irahov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For the sake of completeness, I would add that one can show/hide global views/actions etc. (i.e. the case when there is no selected/context object) using privileges.

You can also set custom privileges (see the vSphere API for information on creating privileges).

<extension id=“...”>

<extendedPoint>...</extendedPoint>

<metadata>

<privilege>[comma_separated_list_of_privilege_names]</privilege>

</metadata>

</extension>

0 Kudos
virat1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you guys plan to add this in the future? Hiding views based on properties is very useful.

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We're looking at various options for a more flexible extension filtering API in the future, most likely REST-based. Using properties for Global Views is not very flexible.

0 Kudos