VMware {code} Community
ravoor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Invoking vSphere actions from the web client

Hi,

I'm starting development on a vSphere Web client plugin for vSphere 6.0 (VVols), and I had a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to invoke vSphere actions (such as creating a VVol Datastore) from within the web client itself?

2. Does VMware certify the web client plugins?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The HTML samples are the same as the Flex samples. You'll find actions in the chassis sample.

The business logic of your action will be in part in the UI (dialog confirmation, etc.) and mostly on the java side where the UI calls a java service.

Inside that Java service you can use the API of your choice to perform actions on vCenter or other back-ends (for instance the vSphere Web Services API).  This API is not related to the Web Client SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

High level user actions available through the Web Client UI such as create VVol Datastore, etc. usually don't correspond to a simple vSphere API call.  They are the result of some business logic implemented inside the Web Client.  So a Web Client plugin can invoke anything as long as you implement the proper business logic using the right APIs.  The Web Client SDK includes samples explaining how to do that.

VMware doesn't have a formal certification program for plugins yet but I think some people are working on it.

0 Kudos
ravoor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @laurentsd,

Thanks for the reply.

I've mostly been concentrating on the HTML bridge development, and most of the samples included deal with data queries, and not actions. I haven't looked into the Flex section, so I will look again.

Just to confirm that I understood correctly -  I wouldn't need any additional SDK to implement the Business logic? All the required APIs would be part of the Web client SDK?

Thanks,

Prashanth

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The HTML samples are the same as the Flex samples. You'll find actions in the chassis sample.

The business logic of your action will be in part in the UI (dialog confirmation, etc.) and mostly on the java side where the UI calls a java service.

Inside that Java service you can use the API of your choice to perform actions on vCenter or other back-ends (for instance the vSphere Web Services API).  This API is not related to the Web Client SDK.

0 Kudos
ravoor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, that clarifies doubts I've been having.

0 Kudos