VMware {code} Community
rathi27akash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to Perform Dynamic Update in HTML Plugin

Hi,

we are developing a plugin, monitoring external objects. we are fetching state change for the (external) objects and want to reflect the same in the UI dynamically. I referred to Chassis-A sample object. where ActionResult.java is pushed to UI for edit,add but this is invoked only when we have started some Action from UI. My question is how can we dynamically push new state change from service layer to ui Layer(with or without using ActionResult.java) when the action is not invoked from UI.

Thanks in advance,

Rathi.

Rathi.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

One way to refresh your plugin view automatically when it is visible is to implement a polling process in the UI  (since that polling code is part of the view it should stop executing when the view is no longer visible).  A push mechanism would require something like web-sockets but I don't think it would work for plugin views.  We need to provide a more generic way to perform live refresh in the next release.

0 Kudos
rathi27akash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Laurentsd,

for a quick response. The response was helpful. Just out of curiosity, is this feature going to be avilable in web-client post 6.0 in which release ..?

Rathi.
0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Live refresh is being added in the next major release for the client's own views.  The ability to do it in other plugins' views is something we still need to work on, i.e. it's in the backlog but not sure when it can be done.

0 Kudos
rathi27akash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Laurent,

Regards,

Rathi.

Rathi.
0 Kudos