VMware {code} Community
Ina1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HTML SDK Fling 11 is available (Hint: New JavaScript APIs)

Hi all,
We've just released Fling 11 : https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-html5-web-client and it contains the first set of new JavaScript APIs.
The goal is to facilitate the transition of existing vSphere Flex Client plug-ins to vSphere HTML Client plug-ins and ensure more stable ecosystem.

The new JavaScript APIs cover the following use cases which so far were not supported with the HTML Bridge APIs:

• Custom plugin data can be passed from the parent window to the modal iframe.
• Developers can pass data from a modal to its parent when the modal is about to be closed.
• Developers can specify multiple target ids when opening a dialog.
• Developers can specify the dialog title and X button as optional.

The APIs are divided into namespaces for easier access, understanding and categorization and overcome the existing security concern that sensitive information was passed via URL parameter.
The new JavaScript APIs are available only for the vSphere HTML Client. For more details refer to the complete documentation available from: \html-client-sdk\docs\New-Javascript-API.html.

Thanks,
Ina

0 Kudos
6 Replies
msoni11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ina1,

Is there any plan to provide a sample for new JS API?  I'm trying to use this in plugin-seed but getting error(s).

What if I wanted my plugin to be compatible with both flash and html5 client at this point ? Can I still use these APIs?

Thanks,

msoni

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

msoni,

Fling 11 is for introducing new APIs and getting feedback but since those are new APIs they don't work as is with current releases.  We're looking into ways to make them backward compatible as we know that most plugin developers need to support older versions.  The plugin-seed tool will be updated sometimes in the future to support those APIs.

0 Kudos
msoni11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Laurent! I will wait for next updates.

0 Kudos
kumartade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

laurentsd Any update on this?

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I started to do that upgrade recently but it's not my full time job 🙂  I should have another update early next week.

0 Kudos
kumartade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks laurent.

This will be critical to migrate/adopt the Html client by vendor plugin's.

We are waiting for this update. 🙂

0 Kudos