VMware {code} Community
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

Change the title for the vSphere Web Client

I currently have 2 vCenter servers on 5.5, one for my server environment and one for my Horizon View environment.  When I am connected to both with the vSphere Web Client, I have 2 tabs in my browser open and both are titled "vSphere Web Client".  I have no easy way to determine which one is which without pulling one of the pages up.

Is there any way to change the HTML Title on these sites so that I can name them something meaningful to me such as "Servers" and "View" or the like?

TIA
Craig Tompkins

0 Kudos
14 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hi Craig,

The best way to do this is to create bookmarks with your own label for each site.

FYI, you should post in the vSphere Web Client SDK forum in the future, as this one is for the C# client. Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

I do have bookmarks with my own labels so that when opening the site for the first time I can open the correct one.  However the title in the tabs seems to be using the HTML title tag.  Here is a screenshot of my bookmarks and both web clients open as an example.

webclienttabs2.png

Craig

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should be able to edit the bookmark name (right-click > Edit)

0 Kudos
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

It's not the bookmark that needs to be changed.  As you can see in the image I posted the bookmarks have the name of the vcenter server in them (vCenter03 and vCenter2) but when I open them up the title of the tab is "vSphere Web Client".  I even tried changing my bookmark to read "View vCenter" and closed my browser, opened my browser and selected "View vCenter" from my bookmarks and it still opens as "vSphere Web Client".

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're right, I wasn't looking at the tabs... Unfortunately I don't see any solution for changing the web app title.  Have you considered using the same web client for both vCenters?

0 Kudos
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't know you could use the same web client for multiple vCenters.  Is there a KB or a white paper that talks about this?

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All you have to do is use the same SSO server for both vCenters.

0 Kudos
bzjeurd
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I have the same request as crgnjul.

If anybody knows the answer berfore I spend time into the html code of the vcenter web server...

Thanx in advance.

Bz

0 Kudos
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add that I'm still looking for this solution too.

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you really don't want to use the same Web Client for both vCenters here is an unsupported hack for modifying the web page title:

- stop the Web Client service

- open plugin-packages/vsphere-client/plugins/container-app-war-5.5.0.war and extract ui.jsp

- change the <title> text in ui.jsp and update the .war file with that new version

- start the Web Client service

0 Kudos
crgnjul
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for the splash screen that loads the sign in screen, but once you get the sign on prompot it reverts back to just "vSphere Web Client".

0 Kudos
MikeSchreina
Contributor
Contributor

there has got to be a way to do this.  I have 6 vcenters and i don't want to use the fat client anymore.  This is too easy, it must be!!  Please Help!!

0 Kudos
_vladi_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This feature is not something that can be done on plugin side using the SDK, rather this could be a user setting in the Client itself.

It is not going to be implemented for the Flex Client but you may try how the HTML Client works. Just get the HTML Client Fling from https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-html5-web-client and if you still get the same behavior you can request this feature on the Fling's forum that is frequently attended by the product managers.

Cheers,

Vladi

0 Kudos