VMware {code} Community
atoka
Contributor
Contributor

Call Refresh "Recent Tasks" window from HTML Bridge plugin?

Is there a way to refresh "Recent Tasks" window or call Global Refresh from HTML Bridge plugin?

From my HTML Bridge plugin I am submitting VMware Task like reconfigure VM and I want the task to show up immediately in "Recent Tasks" windows. For this I need to call "Recent Tasks" window refresh or Global Refresh. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry, this is not possible.  However in Web Client 6.0 users can configure the auto-refresh rate of the Recent Tasks view (parameter tasks.refresh.rate in webclient.properties, the default is 1 minute)

0 Kudos
atoka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure how happy customer will be to increase the refresh rate. If I am not wrong, I read there is some side-effects of increasing the refresh rate? This is going to be bit inconvenient to keep manually refreshing the page.

Is this limitation only for HTML Bridge plugin?

So if I add my custom Tasks definition under my extension, it is going to be the same. User will have to manually refresh the "Recent Task"  window when we create our custom task on vCenter Server?

Thanks

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a work-around when using the Flex API described a while ago here: Re: Update vcenter TaskPane on webclient UI

Unfortunately it is not possible to trigger this taskPanelRefreshRequest event within an HTML plugin.  We could add this in the next release but it won't be necessary because tasks will be refreshed automatically, i.e. without relying on a timer.

For now increasing the timer frequency is your best bet.  There is no real performance penalty when the view is showing only "My tasks", which should be the default.

Another thing regarding custom tasks created on vCenter: make sure that the task username is set to the VC session name and not the Web Client user name, otherwise they won't show up in the "My Tasks" mode.

0 Kudos
ErezT
Contributor
Contributor

Just to be clear. Are you saying that the server will push updates to the browsers?

Also, when can we expect this behavior (when tasks are refreshed automatically)?

Thanks,

Erez

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is planned for the 2016 release.

0 Kudos