VMware Cloud Community
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor

Issue deploying Custom Template CentOS 6.x

Hi,

For deployment of PivotalHD 1.0 is a custom template based on CentOS 6.x a prerequisite. In the Pivotal/EMC and VMware documents is described how to deploy such a template.There are some minor differences between these descriptions, but that's not the big deal (unfortunately). Both the descriptions did not help me deploying the new template. I've tried to investigate the issue by tracking the logs and i could solve one of the issues (as described below). After this there are still some really nasty errors which i can't trace back myself. But in advance; is there anyone who succeded preparing a new BDE Linux template based on CentOS 6.2, 6.4 of 6.5 yet? If there is, I have another issue I have to investigate first...:smileyconfused:

Cheers,

Dustin

No DHCP IP address after reboot during  machine cloningproces :

The command "rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" conform both documents (Pivotal/EMC and VMware) before shutting down was not working for me.

After cloning and using the proposed command, the entire eth0-stack is no available anymore.

The code below helped me finishing the template for the IP-part:

ifdown eth0

sed -i '/^HWADDR=.*$/d' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

ifup eth0

rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

And directly after this:

shutdown -h now

Now the cloned machines get at least an ip-address.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I forgot to report in my question; the issue is a BDE deployment error: "Task execution failed: Bootstrapping VM Failed"

Cheers,

Dustin

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dustin,

please follow this guide Tips for quick debugging 'Bootstrap Failed' error to debug your issue.

Thanks

Jesse

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jesse,

My environment is working fine when I use the original 5.9 template and deploy the default Apache Hadoop cluster. I can deploy and load the cluster in several appearences and configurations. The issue in my environment shows up when i deploy a new template conform the VMware and Pivotal/EMC documentation. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Dustin

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dustin,

You can simply follow Install CentOS 6.x and VMware Tools on the Hadoop Template Virtual Machine to create CentOS 6 template. Pivotal HD distro only works on CentOS 6 template. You don't need to follow PHD's doc.  If you need to follow PHD doc to install some packages or services, and get the 'Bootstrap Failed' error, please follow this guide Tips for quick debugging 'Bootstrap Failed' error to debug your issue.

Jesse

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
DustinSnijders
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jesse,

I know about the instructions and i followed the instruction you advise several times. For now I've reinstalled my vcenter+BDE environment again. I've checked DHCP and DNS. I've just succesfully deployed a (default) 6 node Apache Hadoop cluster. At the moment i'm deploying the PivotalHD 1.0 distri conform their instructions and after that i'm going to deploy a CentOS6.4 image, conform the instructions at  'vSphere Big Data Extensions 1.0 Documentation Center'. Logically I've tried that 3 times before i started this discussion yesterday. If not succesfull i'll post some log files, because i think i'm forgettting something...

Cheers,

Dustin

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please follow this guide Tips for quick debugging 'Bootstrap Failed' error to debug your issue for Pivotal HD 1.0.  If it doesn't help, please send all files in /opt/serengeti/logs/ on the BDE Management Server to us for debugging.

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos