Due to the elimination using of Microsoft servers in a Hadoop BigData environment, we started to deploy a VMware vCenter appliance. Installing BDE itselves was no issue. However, adding resources like networks and datastores is not possible and generates respectively these errors:
Can not add datastore. Internal error: REST API transport layer error.
Can not add network. Internal error: REST API transport layer error.
Here are a couple of things for you to try:
1) reboot the Serengeti Services: login to the management server console and execute /opt/serengeti/sbin/serengeti-stop-services.sh and then /opt/serengeti/sbin/serengeti-start-services.sh.
2) If 1) doesn't resolve the problem. Check the file /opt/serengeti/conf/vc.properties and verify that the FQDN or IP in that file is correct for your vcenter. If it is not, add the correct one. Then you must remove /opt/serengeti/etc/serengeti-firstboot if it exists, and execute /opt/serengeti/sbin/serengeti-firstboot.rb. This is a workaround for a known vc5.5 issue.
1) your BDE Server doesn't have an FQDN
2) and "vim.evs_url" in /opt/serengeti/conf/vc.properties has a value "https://vc.hd-dom.local/vsm/extensionService"
I'd suggest you try these steps:
1) open /opt/serengeti/.chef/knife.rb and replace localhost to your BDE Server IP.
3) restart tomcat service : sudo service tomcat restart
It's better to configure your DNS and DHCP server to provide FQDN/IP resolution. FQDN like vc.hd-com.local will cause unpredictable error.
Yes, this should resolve most issues. Hi Dustin, if you plan to use elasticity feature that can power on/off task trackers according to the resource usages in the near future, then you need to run some extra steps inside /opt/serengeti/sbin/serengeti-firstboot.rb as Michael mentioned above. I would suggest to try the steps Jesse suggested above first.
Hi Dustin, If comments #5 doesn't fix your issue, then you might need to reinstall you vCenter following this guide:
After the initial deployment of vCenter Server Appliance using an OVF, if we use a static IP address and a blank hostname, the vCenter Server Appliance will set an incorrect hostname automatically.
If the vCenter Server Appliance is deployed with OVF environment that has static IP configuration and the hostname is blank, reverse lookup from the IP address is not performed correctly. Due to which an incorrect hostname is automatically set for the vCenter Server Appliance.
To workaround this issue, set the desired vCenter Server Appliance hostname in the OVF properties during initial deployment.
We have added a discussion topic about this issue at Solution to REST API transport layer error during operations after deploying Big Data Extensions where you may find the cause related to your environments.
I've tried all your suggestions, but I still have the same issues. Due to the fact it is a test environment, I could easily redeploy the entire vcenter and BDE servers. Even after configuring DHCP and DNS (DHCP on mac address before startup -> static IP and DNS for the FQDN) i still receive the same error. I'm wondering where and when i can set the vCenter Appliance OVF hostname during the initial deployment. Any suggestions?
I think i'm doing something wrong. Where and when do i have the possibility to define the host name as you wrote in your latest post "During reinstallation, set the vCenter Server Appliance host name in the OVF properties"
I thought that during the OVF deployment the asked name is the display name only, or am i wrong?
Thanks for your patience here first. Our QA team tested this ovf property of hostname when they install vCenter 5.5 instance from an existing vCenter client view. If you install the instance from an ESXi client view, you may not find this property. If you have any chance to try installation of this vCenter 5.5 instance from an existing vCenter client view, please have a try. Otherwise, you can also install a vCenter 5.1 instance which does not have this FQDN issue usually. In the meanwhile, we will investigate how to install vCenter 5.5 from an ESXi client view.
My vCenter applicance 5.5 is installing via the existing vCenter appliance 5.5 right now :smileylaugh:. It seems to be the solution. I had the opportunity to assign the network credentials after all. I'll post the final result (after installing BDE). Thank you all so far for now...
When you deploy vcva, after starting the deploy steps, you will notice "Properties" on the left pane, and when you go to this step, there is one property called "Hostname", where you must input a correct hostname rather than blank. Please also refer to my last reply about which VC version(5.5 or 5.1) to use for now.
Problem seems to be solved so far. My test environment contains only a few severs. When i started testing with VCSA, I decided to roll out without the creation of a cluster and I used standalone vsphere hosts direct under DC only. Wrong; you still need a cluster and DRS in a Serengeti/BDE environment. Okay, sounds quite logical. But...i remembered i made a comparable mistake in the past (Serengeti v.0.8). I also remembered a prerequisite test which gently told me i had to turn DRS on. I can't remember i tried without a cluster config as well, but i think it is a good idea for the next version to check if there is a cluster config and if DRS is active.
Thanks for the help...