VMware Cloud Community
Mohsin_Kamal
Contributor
Contributor

Big data extension not showing up in VCenter client

Hi,

I deployed the BDE template and installed the plugin from management server for the VCenter, However i am not seeing the big data extension icon when i login to the webclient. Can someone help why is this happening.

Mohsin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
gguanglu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please provide the versions of your ESX, vCenter, BDE?

Did you logout and login again to vSphere web client after the plugin installation? Generally it requires such a new session creation to load that plugin.

Thanks,

Gavin

0 Kudos
Mohsin_Kamal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yeah i did logout and login couple of times but same results

I am using EXS 5.1, VCenter 5.1 and BDE 2.1

Mohsin

0 Kudos
selinacui
Contributor
Contributor

To make sure you have registered the GUI plugin successfully, you can go to https://vcserver/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager to see if the "vsphere.bigdataextensions" extension exists in the extension list and click the extension link to see the detail of the plugin.

0 Kudos
Mohsin_Kamal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Plugin is there but lot of properties have null values.....is that a default behavior ?

(I have attached a image of BDE properties for info)

Mohsin

0 Kudos
selinacui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mohsin,

Try the below steps:

1.       Login to VAMI admin portal: https://vcserver:5480/

2.       Go to vCenter Sever->Summary->Services

3.       Stop vSphere Web Client and restart

4.       Login the vSphere Web Client and check if the Big Data Extensions shows up

0 Kudos
Mohsin_Kamal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Selinacui,

We restarted the web client but no success

Mohsin

0 Kudos
xiao1307
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mohsin,

It look like your GUI plugin registration is ok, it's really weird why it doesn't show up. please login vc server, go to /var/lib/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity and check if vsphere.bigdataextensions-2.1.0.1216 exists. you can upload the /storage/log/vmware/vsphere-client/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log as well after restarting the vsphere web client.

Thanks

zhaoqian

0 Kudos
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly the same problem for me excepted my infrastructure is vCenter 5.5 (W2K12) , BDE 2.2.

BDE 2.2  registration is OK, plugin is showed in MOB but with a lot of unset values...

I can see package in C:\ProgramData\VMware\vSphere Web Client\vc-packages\vsphere-client-serenity\vsphere.bigdataextensions-2.2.0.1843

My vAPP BDE is deployed in the top level resource pool under my vCenter cluster

My management vm can resolved my vCenter

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try the below steps ?

1.       Login to VAMI admin portal: https://vcserver:5480/

2.       Go to vCenter Sever->Summary->Services

3.       Stop vSphere Web Client and restart

4.       Login the vSphere Web Client and check if the Big Data Extensions shows up

If it doesn't work, could you attach the following log files:

vsphere-client/logs/vsphere_client_virgo.log  on vCenter Server

/opt/serengeti/logs/serengeti-boot.log and /opt/serengeti/logs/serengeti.log  on BDE Server

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
xiao1307
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, trailxtrailx,

Could you restart your vcenter server which will redeploy the bde plugin again? if you still can't see the BDE icon in the Web client after restarting, locate the vsphere_client_virgo.log file in vcenter and send it to me, I'm not sure where this log file is in Windows OS since I'm using linux server for VC and in linux it's under /storage/log/vmware/vsphere-client/logs/.

thanks

zxiao

0 Kudos
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Logs are in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\serviceability\logs

My vCenter has 2 IP in 2 differents subnets. I registered bde plugin with the second one. In my virgo log there 's only log with the first one...

Maybe I have to register bde plugin with the first one IP

In addition i Notices some aurora records in my MOB like com.vmware.aurora.vcext.instance-6a8

Virgo.log:

[ WARN ] vc-service-pool-13           70000059 100004 200001 com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackageManifestParser            Plugin id mismatch between the registered extension key (vsphere.bigdataextensions)

and the id specified in plugin-package.xml (com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.ui). The registration id will be used but you should keep them in sync.

[2015-07-16 13:42:37.165] [WARN ] vc-service-pool-13           70000059 100004 200001 com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackageManifestParser            Plugin version mismatch for vsphere.bigdataextensions between the plugin registration info (2.2.0.1843)

and the version specified in plugin-package.xml (5.5.0). The registration version will be used but you should keep them in sync.

[2015-07-16 13:42:40.986] [INFO ] iLogServiceListener@146f2f38  org.osgi.service.log.LogService     Bundle com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.iservice.SerengetiService_2.2.0, BundleEvent STARTED

[2015-07-16 13:42:41.640] [INFO ] region-dm-10                  org.eclipse.virgo.nano.core.internal.BundleStartTracker           Recording created application context for bundle 'com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.uiservice.SerengetiService_2.2.0 [289]'

[2015-07-16 13:42:41.640] [INFO ] region-dm-10                  o.e.g.b.extender.internal.activator.ContextLoaderListener         Application context successfully refreshed (OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.uiservice.SerengetiService, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml))

[2015-07-16 13:42:45.571] [INFO ] start-signalling-1            org.springframework.flex.core.MessageBrokerFactoryBean            MessageBroker with id 'serengeti-ui-broker' is ready (startup time: '91' ms)

[2015-07-16 13:42:45.575] [INFO ] start-signalling-1            org.springframework.flex.remoting.RemotingDestinationExporter     Remoting destination 'SerengetiService' has been started started successfully.

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
xiao1307
Contributor
Contributor

hi tailx,

Go to https://vcenter/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager, check if the "vsphere.bigdataextensions" extension exists in the extension list and then click the extension link to see the version of the registered plugin. From the virgo log you attached, it look like the registered version mismatch with the 2.2.0.1843 cached under C:\ProgramData\VMware\vSphere Web Client\vc-packages\vsphere-client-serenity\vsphere.bigdataextensions-2.2.0.1843. I think you should mannally registered the BDE plugin with the first one IP of your vcenter.

thanks

zxiao

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please follow Install the Big Data Extensions Plug-In to manually install the vCenter BDE plugin

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
selinacui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi trailx,

Is your issue fixed? If not, please sent your virgo log to me. cuiw@vmware.com

Thanks,

Selina

0 Kudos
trailx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi xiao1307 and selinacuiselinacui

My problem persists even if I registered with the first interface of my vCenter.

MOB is ok

"vsphere.bigdataextensions"

"2.2.0.1843"

Files are ok :

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vSphere Web Client\vc-packages\vsphere-client-serenity\vsphere.bigdataextensions-2.2.0.1843

Virgo logs :

Done expanding plugin package to C:\ProgramData\VMware\vSphere Web Client\vc-packages\vsphere-client-serenity\vsphere.bigdataextensions-2.2.0.1843

[2015-07-21 13:35:37.422] [WARN ] vc-service-pool-1396         70000276 100006 200002 com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackageManifestParser            Plugin id mismatch between the registered extension key (vsphere.bigdataextensions)

and the id specified in plugin-package.xml (com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.ui). The registration id will be used but you should keep them in sync.

plugin-package.xml:

<pluginPackage id="com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.ui" version="5.5.0" name="Big Data Extension"

description="Big data extension plugin" vendor="VMware">

<dependencies>

<!-- dependency on the current vSphere Client version is required -->

<pluginPackage id="com.vmware.vsphere.client" version="5.1.0" />

</dependencies>

<bundlesOrder>

<!-- You only need to list the bundles from the /plugins directory when

the loading order matters (i.e. loading a service bundle before a UI bundle).

Bundle IDs here must match the Bundle-SymbolicName in each plugin's MANIFEST.MF

-->

<bundle id="com.google.gson"/>

<bundle id="org.opensaml.xml"/>

<bundle id="jackson-core-asl"/>

<bundle id="jackson-mapper-asl"/>

<bundle id="com.vmware.bdd"/>

<bundle id="com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.uiservice.SerengetiService" />

<bundle id="com.vmware.serengeti.vcplugin.ui" />

</bundlesOrder>

</pluginPackage>

I tried again with BDE 2.1 and no problem...

0 Kudos
selinacui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi trailx,

The plugin id mismatch will not block BDE web plugin displaying. So I need vsphere_client_virgo.log to find the root cause. Please send it to cuiw@vmware.com

Thanks,

Selina

0 Kudos
vechiattoa
Contributor
Contributor

Create 1 Resource Pool in Cluster and deploy BDE. Access Web Client with vsphere.local\administrator. Function for me.

0 Kudos
DrStephenHayne
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I am still having trouble getting the BDE plugin to show up.  Mohsin (the OP) deployed this in vCenter 5.5 and BDE 2.0.  I'm now trying again with vCenter 6.0 vcsa and BDE 2.3.  vCenter has been functioning perfectly with all datastores and network config working great on 10 HP Proliant blades.  We have a private IP space on a 10.7.x.x network for the hadoop/spark/??? clusters and using the management server CLI with the serengeti login, I can create clusters(!), but vCenter won't show any web interface (it is a FQDN ip outside that private IP space).  We have given the management server BOTH an internal and external IP in the vAPP, but it continues to want to install the BDE plugin using the internal 10.7.x.x ip, which the vcsa can't access.  Thus, we think, the plugin can't actually be used in the vcsa client, even though the BDE management server registration process says, in green, "installation successful!"

Any ideas about how to get this going?

--

Dr. Stephen C. Hayne, Professor, CIS, Colorado State University

__!__   (970)491-7511(w)  (970)491-5205(f)

___(_)___   "I love to fly AngelFlights!  310I - N8109M

"http://selfsynchronize.com/hayne/"

0 Kudos
selinacui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephen,

You can visit this url in browser https://bde-external-ip-address:8443/register-plugin. In this page, Big Data Extensions Package URL should be https://bde-external-ip-address/vcplugin/serengeti-plugin.zip.  You can uninstall the old plugin and install the new one. Next, login to VC server and restart vsphere web client.

Thanks,

Selina

0 Kudos