VMware Cloud Community
cmutchle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BDE 2.1.1 Fling Management server not connecting to vCenter

I have the management server deployed in the environment, the plugin successfully installed and vCenter is connected to the management server through the vCenter Web interface. The issue occurs when I go to add a datastore or add a network.

I get the following (through the GUI or CLI):

Version: 2.1.1

Welcome to Serengeti CLI

serengeti>connect --host hadoop-mgmt.or1.omniture.com:8443

Enter the username: administrator@vsphere.local

Enter the password: ************

Connected

serengeti>datastore add --name defaultDS --spec DS10HadoopOR1 --type shared

datastore defaultDS add failed: Unable to connect to vCenter Server.

The error in the serengeti.log file is a generic JAVA error. The vCenter is 5.5U2 and the ESXi hosts are 5.5U1.

--

Chris.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Charlie a lot for helping out.

I found some info in the serengeti.log and serengeti-boot.log Chris posted:

serengeti-boot.log:

I, [2015-02-12T20:56:27.722910 #3336]  INFO -- : templateVmName: vSphere Big Data Extensions - Node Template

serengeti.log:

Caused by: com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert: FAILURE

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.FAILURE(AuAssert.java:28)

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.check(AuAssert.java:43)

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.check(AuAssert.java:50)

at com.vmware.bdd.service.impl.ClusteringService.getTemplateVm(ClusteringService.java:408)

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.438-0700] INFO  Event_Expander| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: Events to expand: [{moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-136, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}]

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.626-0700] INFO  pool-2-thread-4| com.vmware.bdd.service.utils.VcResourceUtils: Folder xxx-uuid is not found.

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.627-0700] INFO  pool-2-thread-4| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.VmEventManager: VM root folderxxx-uuid is not created yet. Ignore external VM event.

[2015-02-12T14:46:58.393-0700] INFO  Event_Handler| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: processed 2 new events

[2015-02-12T14:46:58.394-0700] INFO  Event_Handler| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: Events processed: [{moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-137, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}, {moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-136, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}]

[2015-02-12T14:47:13.183-0700] ERROR http-8443-5| com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource: rest call error

com.vmware.bdd.exception.BddException: Unable to connect to vCenter Server.

at com.vmware.bdd.exception.BddException.INIT_VC_FAIL(BddException.java:189)

at com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource.verifyInitialized(RestResource.java:1175)

at com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource.addDatastore(RestResource.java:636)

This log shows BDE Server can not find the node template named "vSphere Big Data Extensions - Node Template".  When deploying the BDE Fling, the management-server and hadoop-template VMs must be deployed in the same folder in under a vCenter cluster.  Please check this and follow the BDE 2.1.1 Fling deployment guide and deploy again.  BTW you can customize the name of server VM and template VM when deploying them, and make sure set the correct template name when deploying the server VM.

Cheers, Jesse Hu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

Is there a firewall between BDE and the vCenter server? If so there are some ports which are not detailed in the documentation that will need to be opened.

So far I have found the following ports are required from the VC to BDE : 8080,8443,443,80 (additionally this port is mentioned in the docs but I have not seen any traffic use it 5480)

The following ports appear to be required from BDE to the VC: 7444,443,5480,80

Hope this helps. If not checkout the logs under /opt/serengeti/logs/ which may give you some pointers.

Cheers

Charlie

0 Kudos
cmutchle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Charlie,

Yeah, no firewalls in the environment. Both vCenter and BDE appliance live on the same VLAN. I had to the 2.1 appliance working in the same environment before trying the fling version. I will probably just hack in the new stuff manually into my 2.1 appliance to compare the fling implementation of Mesosphere with my own version.

Thanks.

--

Chris.

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Charlie a lot for helping out.

I found some info in the serengeti.log and serengeti-boot.log Chris posted:

serengeti-boot.log:

I, [2015-02-12T20:56:27.722910 #3336]  INFO -- : templateVmName: vSphere Big Data Extensions - Node Template

serengeti.log:

Caused by: com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert: FAILURE

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.FAILURE(AuAssert.java:28)

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.check(AuAssert.java:43)

at com.vmware.bdd.utils.AuAssert.check(AuAssert.java:50)

at com.vmware.bdd.service.impl.ClusteringService.getTemplateVm(ClusteringService.java:408)

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.438-0700] INFO  Event_Expander| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: Events to expand: [{moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-136, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}]

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.626-0700] INFO  pool-2-thread-4| com.vmware.bdd.service.utils.VcResourceUtils: Folder xxx-uuid is not found.

[2015-02-12T14:46:47.627-0700] INFO  pool-2-thread-4| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.VmEventManager: VM root folderxxx-uuid is not created yet. Ignore external VM event.

[2015-02-12T14:46:58.393-0700] INFO  Event_Handler| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: processed 2 new events

[2015-02-12T14:46:58.394-0700] INFO  Event_Handler| com.vmware.bdd.service.event.EventScheduler: Events processed: [{moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-137, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}, {moid=null:VirtualMachine:vm-136, event=VmResourcePoolMoved}]

[2015-02-12T14:47:13.183-0700] ERROR http-8443-5| com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource: rest call error

com.vmware.bdd.exception.BddException: Unable to connect to vCenter Server.

at com.vmware.bdd.exception.BddException.INIT_VC_FAIL(BddException.java:189)

at com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource.verifyInitialized(RestResource.java:1175)

at com.vmware.bdd.rest.RestResource.addDatastore(RestResource.java:636)

This log shows BDE Server can not find the node template named "vSphere Big Data Extensions - Node Template".  When deploying the BDE Fling, the management-server and hadoop-template VMs must be deployed in the same folder in under a vCenter cluster.  Please check this and follow the BDE 2.1.1 Fling deployment guide and deploy again.  BTW you can customize the name of server VM and template VM when deploying them, and make sure set the correct template name when deploying the server VM.

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
cmutchle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jesse,

I had them in a VAPP thinking I should make it look like the normal BDE deployment.

Thanks.

--

Chris.

0 Kudos
jessehuvmw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

The normal BDE deployment is deploying the BDE vApp (a single ova file) and a vApp is created in vCenter.  The BDE Fling deployment is different, which contains 2 ova files (one for server and one for template) to be deployed into the same vCenter folder (not vApp).

You can try the deployment again. We'll answer your questions promptly.

Cheers, Jesse Hu
0 Kudos
cmutchle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am all set and things are working great. The fling code for Mesos and Docker looks really good. Nicely done!

0 Kudos