VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

write to file system vRO 8.1

Hi,

I imported a workflow from vRO 7.5 to my new environment vRO 8.1

This workflow writes some files in the following path: /data-vra-scripts/folder (in vro appliance).

According to this VMWare article I need to edit js-io-rights.conf

Rules in the js-io-rights.conf File Permitting Write Access to the vRealize Orchestrator System

However in the path mentioned in the article the file does not exist (/data/vco/var/run/vco/js-io-rights.conf)

However I found it in the following path: /data/vco/usr/lib/vco/app-server/conf/js-io-rights.conf

I try to edit the file from  /data/vco/usr/lib/vco/app-server/conf/js-io-rights.conf - but still my workflow fails on creating my file.

I also try to copy js-io-rights.conf to the path mentioned in the article, but the errors still occur.

By the way, in past, in my old environment I edited this file, and eventually it allows me to create and edit files.

Any idea?

24 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For #1, what are you needing to cache if in #2 you're going to copy a template from one location to another?

For #2, you may look at either Content Library, a shared NFS-based datastore common across both vCenters, or execute a manual transfer from one NFS datastore to another NFS datastore in that location, then register/import it.

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1.  I have a workflow for our resources department which allow them to change attributes in AD.

When running this workflow from the vRA (Xaas) they see for example the departments, unit, room number etc of a user in AD.

They also see a dropdown list of all the departments, units etc which were collected before and saved in the files in appliance.

The dropdown list is important because they can change the department or unit of the user.

Collecting this info every time they run the workflow can take some long seconds...

I add here part of my form...

pastedImage_2.png

2. I'm familiar with those technologies, but our security or storage team were against them.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

#1. Why not, upon initial retrieval, cache these in a resource element? It's a vRO native construct and allows for fast retrieval. You will have to work out some logic for stale cache and cache invalidation, but that's part of any caching system. Alternatively, cache this same information in a database which vRO can connect. Fairly straightforward there.

#2. Another alternative would be to use a dedicated jump host or some intermediary system to perform the transfer. No matter how you slice it, your security team is going to have to OK some new process. I would submit that what you were doing before by dragging that file and storing it on vRO wasn't a tenable solution to begin with, so now you're forced down another path.

orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. I will try the resource elements.

2. probably I will copy to another server...

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Sheetal_2017
Contributor
Contributor

Two files need to be modified to make read write access on files

js-io-rights.conf and vmo.properties

find where your file exists

find / -iname 'js-io-rights.conf' similar for vmo.properties

In js-io-rights.conf

+rwx /usr/lib/vco/app-server/temp

In vmo.properties