VMware Cloud Community
LMcManamon
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere client sdk get vRO version

I am able to use vim 25 to get all the VMs on a vCenter, and figure out which VMs are vRealize Orchestrators. With the change to the rest endpoint introduced with vRO 8.x (no port and only FQDN), I now need to parse whether the vRO is 7.x or 8.x, and adjust the rest call appropriately.

Is there a consistent way using the vmware file structure to determine what the version of a vRO is? I've found the vAppConfig field, which contains the version, but a lot of the time its null for a vRO. Is there another field to get it more reliably? Is there actions that can be done to ensure the vAppConfig field isn't null for a vRO?

Moderator edit by wila: Moved post to vRealize Orchestrator Discussions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
LMcManamon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm creating a plugin for vCenter, and using vim25 to get a list of all VMs and parsing info to find the orchestrators. I need to support 7.x vRO's and 8.x vRO's. This means I need to figure out a way to figure out if a VRO found on the vCenter is version 7.x or 8.x, so that I know what the GET rest endpoint format is supposed to be.

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with vim25, but can't you simply utilize try/catch to get data from both possible addresses and use the relevant response?

0 Kudos