VMware Cloud Community
Clemmondt_Best
Contributor
Contributor

vRO Input Form Field bugs

I am busy with a workflow that has many Input fields tied to Actions, using vRO 7.6. The input form took longer and longer to open until eventually, it became unusable. Switching to a different "Step" on the Input form took just as long. Eventually to test the time it takes I created a Workflow and Actions that just record the time in the input field. I created seperate actions for each input field to be safe. One workflow I created populates the input field with the time, another workflow runs PowerShell to save the execution time in a log file and also return the time to the input field as an= single array item. To have 10 input fields can take up to 8 minutes to refresh (Intel Xeon Gold 3 GHz 12 core x2 on the host with no CPU/RAM/Disk constraints, VMAX storage, 10 Gb x3 LAN)

What I discovered:

The PowerShell Actions are run at least twice when opening the vRO Input form (Executing the workflow). vRO runs the Action on each field up to 8 times if 1 value from an input field that is passed then changed to each of the 10 actions.

About 5 seconds pass between the execution of the actions (even the re-execution of the Action in the same input field)

Browsing to a new Step on the Input Form causes vRO to re-execute all input fields with actions, that I could detect, probably others are refreshed as well

If the workflow with PS actions is closed before it completely refreshes and displays on-screen, vRO continues running the actions (Notepad++ shows the log file changing and new events being added)

Can anybody that has a PowerShell host configured on vRO confirm? Are these bugs also in version 8.1?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Clemmondt_Best
Contributor
Contributor

I logged a call with VMware and the engineer confirmed this looks like a bug. The information and workflows have been forwarded to vROps developers.
0 Kudos
Clemmondt_Best
Contributor
Contributor

The multiple rerunning of Actions on the Input form (especially for Powershell actions) do not occur in the 8.1 web client. As the Java client is no longer supported (Urgghh - IMHO this was THE best thing of VMware Orchestrator) it does not look like this issue will get fixed. The case was closed in favour of using version 8.1.
0 Kudos