VMware Cloud Community
ananddp
Contributor
Contributor

vRO & GIT - How to integrate vRO scripts/packages with Source Code Management (GIT)?

vRO & GIT - How to integrate vRO scripts/packages with Source Code Management (GIT)?

7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

vRO packages and their content (workflows, actions, resources, etc.) can be exported/imported to/from a folder on the file system as a set of folders/files, and these folders/files can be put under a version control using Git or other version control system.

You can do this export/import from within vRO client. Launch the client, switch from Run to Design perspective using the dropdown on the top, go to Packages tab in the left panel. Then, to export the content of a package as flat files, select the package in the list, right-click, and select Expand package to folder... menu command; select the folder where you want to export to, and click Save button. This will expand the content of the package to set of folders/files that can be committed in Git.

To import these folders/files into a new vRO server (or update the existing package in the same vRO server), just right-click on an empty area in the package list and select Import package from folder... menu command (or use the corresponding button in the central panel).

There are also some helpful articles online, eg. http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2016/05/import-a-package-from-a-folder-in-vro-7-0-1.html

0 Kudos
ananddp
Contributor
Contributor

@iilievIlian Iliev

Thanks for your response. I'm able to export/import vRO packages. But i m looking out for version control on the scripts (powershell/shell) which are called by the vRO workflows/actions.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well, how do you access these Powershell scripts currently?

One option would be to add them as resource elements in your package, so they will be put in Git together with other package elements/workflows/actions.

0 Kudos
ananddp
Contributor
Contributor

Powershell scripts are currently stored in Windows host and invoked from vRO.

0 Kudos
juancayuso
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, 

Related to this question, I would like to do a new one.

Is it possible to import a package which contains workflows, actions, resources, etc, but with new IDs ?

It would be usuful for me and my team because we are several developers working in the same vRO server, therefor we could work with the same code of the project/package, and after make some changes, sinchronize with a repository like GIT.

Is this possible ? Can we do the import and using a new ID for each import, each one for a different developer ?

Kind regards,

Juan Carlos

IbanezVF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Juan Carlos,

Do you know vRealize Lifecycle Manager ?  See this link:

Source Control with vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager Content Lifecycle Management

We have same question as you, and that software is the best option that we have found.

If you find better way, please put a new post.

BR,

JI

0 Kudos
eservent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ananddp,

I have also a lot of Powershell scripts to call and a versionning system need.

But also, there is a deployment problem when you have to put newer version of your PS scripts.

My choice was to add an attribute in a specific Configuration Element of type Text to hold each PS Script.

And then I read the script text attribute and execute it through WinRM. I could have also template script, or add some arguments. It's really flexible.

So, it fixes two problems at once, versionning (now it's part of VRO package) and deployment (no more ... or unified with deployment of VRO package).

Emmanuel.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Emmanuel.
0 Kudos