VMware Cloud Community
jacquesperrin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRO - Error when creating a resource element just deleted

Hi all

I currently try to create a resource element in vRO, and I check before if already exists, if yes I delete it.

But even if the resource element is well deleted, the function Server.createResourceElement() returns that it already exists.

is it a bug ? does I need to perform a refresh or anything else ?

Thanks for your help

Below the code to reproduce the error :

var resourceCategoryPath = "Test"

//  Build mime file
var fileName     = "test.txt"
var fileContent  = "test"
var mimeFile     = new MimeAttachment()
mimeFile.name    = fileName 
mimeFile.content = fileContent

// Check if exists
var resourceElement = System.getModule("com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.configuration").getResourceElementByName(resourceCategoryPath + "/" + fileName)

// If exists delete it
if (resourceElement)
{
  Server.removeResourceElement(resourceElement)
  System.log("resource element deleted")
}

// then create resource element again (with same name)
var resourceElement = Server.createResourceElement(resourceCategoryPath, fileName, mimeFile, "text/plain")

And the logs:

[2019-03-07 17:09:25.328] [I] resource element deleted
[2019-03-07 17:09:25.332] [E] An element with the same name already exists in the category.
[2019-03-07 17:09:25.339] [E] Workflow execution stack:
item: 'test/item1', state: 'failed', business state: 'null', exception: 'An element with the same name already exists in the category.'
workflow: 'test' (9947d019-bef4-4fd6-80e9-9c8041fef297)
|  'no inputs'
|  'no outputs'
|  'no attributes'
*** End of execution stack.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iiliev​ - Yes, you're correct. I've tried my own suggestion there with 7.5 and it blows up no matter what wait time I put in. I've found that using the a workflow to remove the resource will work fine + the client will even remove the resource from the UI view but even if I use the client action to re-upload the resource I get the already exists error. If I use the global client UI refresh action that seems to clear the cached reference (very slow to complete too...) and then I re-create/re-upload with no problems.

As I said before, I think I found the delay approach worked before but it may have been in an older version as it was a while back.

As a last suggestion to the OP, looking at your use case, all you're really doing is replacing the content of the resource, then you can get to the same end-game by just updating the resource content with the content of the file?

Like this

pastedImage_0.png

This way you're avoiding this bug but getting the resource updated as you need

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I will try to reproduce the error in my lab. Could you tell me the version / build number of vRO you are using?

0 Kudos
jacquesperrin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ilian

I tried with vRO 7.2 and vRO 7.5 with same results.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure I had this before and found that putting a delay between the delete and re-create gives the DB transaction for the delete a chance to get all the way through the database.

You can either use System.sleep (which can be bad for long delays as it retains all Thread & Monitor locks at the Java level) or use this util action which is based on the Java Object.wait() (releases locks etc - handy when you want to do a comparatively long wait, say > 10 seconds)

pastedImage_0.png

If you put say a 5 second wait between the delete and re-create is it any better?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, I reproduced it in my environment.

eoinbyrne​ - I don't think adding a delay will help; seems more like a caching issue (resource category continuing to keep reference to the deleted element)

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iiliev​ - Yes, you're correct. I've tried my own suggestion there with 7.5 and it blows up no matter what wait time I put in. I've found that using the a workflow to remove the resource will work fine + the client will even remove the resource from the UI view but even if I use the client action to re-upload the resource I get the already exists error. If I use the global client UI refresh action that seems to clear the cached reference (very slow to complete too...) and then I re-create/re-upload with no problems.

As I said before, I think I found the delay approach worked before but it may have been in an older version as it was a while back.

As a last suggestion to the OP, looking at your use case, all you're really doing is replacing the content of the resource, then you can get to the same end-game by just updating the resource content with the content of the file?

Like this

pastedImage_0.png

This way you're avoiding this bug but getting the resource updated as you need

HTH

0 Kudos
jacquesperrin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi eoinbyrne

I think your suggestion is the best answer (and workaround).

I did it and it's solved my problem.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos