VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vRO 8.5 failed to save workflow schema {{message}} error when modifying array variable values

I have a workflow where I have an array of strings defined with a bunch of values.  I went in to modify that array and add a couple of additional items and when I do I get an error 400, OK then another pop up "failed to save workflow schema {{message}}.  Attached is a screen shot.  I get this when saving the workflow.  Anyone seen this or is it a known bug?  Google search didn't hit on anything for me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just checked the payload in DevTools, and on the update the GUI sends a slightly different payload, specifying the variable type twice and that is not accepted by the API. Manually removing the extra attribute in the payload it works. I think this is a bug...

View solution in original post

10 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What do you have in the logs?

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Still too new to vRO/vRA 8 to know what log to look in for this.  I dug around in the logs in /data/vco/usr/lib/vco/app-server/logs but don't see anything.  Its super easy to reproduce just make a new workflow, add a string array var, set a couple of values, save the workflow, edit that same variable and add another item, save, error.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It fails indeed in 8.5.1.

The relevant log is in /services-logs/prelude/vco-app/file-logs/vco-server-app.log

Here is mine:

2021-10-20T20:22:24.884Z WARN vco [host='vco-app-84d598cdc7-gpglq' thread='http-nio-8280-exec-21' user='xian' org='05b138db-c915-41fb-8354-284329e9e9c8' trace='-'] {} org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.support.DefaultHandlerExceptionResolver - Resolved [org.springframework.http.converter.HttpMessageNotReadableException: JSON parse error: Unexpected token (FIELD_NAME), expected END_OBJECT: expected closing END_OBJECT after type information and deserialized value; nested exception is com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.MismatchedInputException: Unexpected token (FIELD_NAME), expected END_OBJECT: expected closing END_OBJECT after type information and deserialized value
at [Source: (PushbackInputStream); line: 1, column: 252] (through reference chain: com.vmware.o11n.web.contentversioncontrol.model.WsWorkflowChangeSet["workflowSchema"]->com.vmware.o11n.web.workflow.schema.model.WsSchemaWorkflow["attrib"]->java.util.ArrayList[0]->com.vmware.o11n.web.common.model.WsParameter["value"])]

Looks like it cannot handle the WF schema generated by the GUI. Very sad.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just checked the payload in DevTools, and on the update the GUI sends a slightly different payload, specifying the variable type twice and that is not accepted by the API. Manually removing the extra attribute in the payload it works. I think this is a bug...

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming I'll open up a ticket with support!

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Support has confirmed this is a bug and will be fixed in 8.6.1.  Thanks again for the debug help!

0 Kudos
ymichalak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello same error here when we have arrays like a variable on vRO 8.6.

Do you have a GA for vRO 8.6.1 ?

0 Kudos
bdjohannes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there any solution for this issue? I'm getting this with vRO 8.10

2023-08-03 09_33_30-Settings.png

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am running 8.12.2 and I cannot reproduce this.  You might need to upgrade and/or open a case with VMware.  I'm curious if this is a new workflow or are you editing one that was created with a previous version?  I've had some weird cases over the years where a finicky workflow required me to start from scratch and that would fix the issue.  Sometimes just removing some objects in it, saving, then adding stuff back in also "fixed" the issue.

0 Kudos
bdjohannes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I noticed the issue only occurs under specific conditions. When you edit a workflow and from there open a sub-workflow to edit it (open workflow in new tab), you sometimes get the specific error. My workaround is not to open a workflow for editing from within another workflow.

0 Kudos