VMware Cloud Community
KThorlund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO 8.2 HTML UI - How do you use it?

Hello, 

I have started to use the vRO 8.2 and its HTML UI. What a difference compared to the older 7.6 useful Java client. It works very well when you have gotten used to. 8.2 HTML UI. Puuhh. That is really cumbersome to work with. Nothing is simple, smooth or intuitive compared to the full client. I find it really hard to work full time with.

What do you think about it. Have you concealed with it - accepted it? Bah!? Wow, nice! etc

Is it to radical - or am I just too conservative?

Please tell me how you use and configured the UI so it works for your job.  

5 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert

I'm not fond of it, so still using 7.6 java client with 8.x.

There are some nice features, like running an action directly, or restore a WF to a previous version, but I feel I need to click too much in the HTML client. My colleagues keep multiple tabs open at different components of vRO to decrease the number of clicks (travelling back and forth in the GUI).

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I use it by throwing it in the garbage and sticking to the less terrible yet antiquated Java client. It's the lesser of two evils.

KThorlund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, 

nice to know it isnt just me then..

I didnt know that I could just use the old Java client and connect to the 8.x server. Have you seen any issues with it?

I wonder if it will turn just a bit more useful and intuitive, but I doubt. At the moment it has a functionality and design which reminds me of Lotus Notes or SAP GUI :). Powerful but from another planet. 

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Some factory workflows do not work properly, for example one cannot select Database type in SQL plugin's Add a database WF. Also packages exported by v8 web gui do not import in the java client.I can live with logging in occasionally to the web gui... Just make sure not to modify workflows in the web gui as the legacy client will not be able to modify them anymore. 

SteskaljGE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare needs to listen to everyone, We want thick clients back. Their HTML5 apps suck. We need to push them to bring them back. Who's with me?

0 Kudos