VMware Cloud Community
befreeman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO 7 workflow "Import vCenter Virtual Machine" doesn't allow you to specify a blueprint and component

Steps to reproduce:

1. I created a virtual machine in vCenter
  2. I ran the workflow Import vCenter Virtual Machine
  3. I selected the newly created VM, host, reservation, added a valid owner and identityUser

The workflow ran successfully, however, the newly imported VM doesn't show up on my Items tab.  When I navigate to Infrastructure -> Managed Machines, I can now see the VM listed.  The Blueprint shown is "system_blueprint_vsphere"  the Component is "Unassigned".  The Owner and other fields all look correct.

I would expect this workflow to allow input of a single VM blueprint, and a component name so I can correctly import this into a newly created deployment.  This would be similar at least to what vRA's bulk import is doing.

We use this workflow in order to import VMs that are created by other tools that integrate with vCenter.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this imported VM into a blueprint deployment and visible to the items tab?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vRO 7 changes alot in the vRA plugin. However, the workflow you mention was never able to import VMs into a multi-machine blueprint (you're saying you want to import a VM as a blueprint COMPONENT which is the wording for VM that are part of a multi-machine blueprint).

You can of course do so but you'll have to be carefull with the entity model, in special since many operations have been disabled in the vRA plugin that comes with vRO 7 (preparing for IaaS component deprecation I guess).

Yet I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do here and what's the problem?

0 Kudos
befreeman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rszymczak, thanks for your response.

It is a fairly basic use case.  I have a VM in my vCenter that is not visible in vRA.  I want to import this VM into vRA, using a single component blueprint.  I've been able to do this successfully using the bulk import tool.  However, I need to do this with a vRO workflow, without any manual steps.  I'm worried that I will need to spin my own import workflow that uses the same REST calls that the bulk import is doing.

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi befreeman,

uh okay so your issue is compleatly related to vRA 7 and vRO 7 if I understand you correctly. I haven't had a look at the vRA 7 import workflow yet in detail so I can't tell you why the import fails. What does your vRA log tell you? You should have a detailed log showing you the import process if you run the workflow.

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly enough I only just had the same issue with vRA7 itself :

vRA7 - Bulk Import not working

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

befreeman

You say you managed to do this via the Bulk Import Tool - would you be able to have a look at my post and maybe take a look at the CSV format ?

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
tchristin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have the same problem : VM imported into 'Infrastructure > Managed Machines' but impossible to find it inside the 'Items' tab...

I used SQL to set the fields 'BlueprintName' & 'ComponentName' of an existing Blueprint for this VM, but still nothing inside 'Items'...

I found that when using the 'Bulk Import' method, some properties are filled like :

VirtualMachine.Cafe.Blueprint.Component.Cluster.Index    0    No    No

VirtualMachine.Cafe.Blueprint.Component.Id    vSphere_Machine_1    No    No

VirtualMachine.Cafe.Blueprint.Component.TypeId    Infrastructure.CatalogItem.Machine.Virtual.vSphere    No    No

VirtualMachine.Cafe.Blueprint.Id    TEMPLATE_W2K12R2STD    No    No

VirtualMachine.Cafe.Blueprint.Name    TEMPLATE_W2K12R2-STD   No    No

VirtualMachine.CPU.Count    2    No    No

VirtualMachine.Imported.Component    vSphere_Machine_1    No    No

VirtualMachine.Imported.ConvergedBlueprint    TEMPLATE_W2K12R2STD    No    No

VirtualMachine.Imported.DeploymentName    NOEYYCVJ    No    No

VirtualMachine.Memory.Size    8192    No    No

VirtualMachine.Registered.DeploymentId    2bbd4dea-c13b-4a8d-a8ef-3d9dd32ae9a9    No    No

But as you can see, some of these properties are UID, so my question is :

How is it possible to call the import with vRO to set these missing properties ?

Please give me the right solution to fully import the VM, beacuse at this moment the 'Import vCenter Virtual Machine' workflow is useless...

Thanks,

Tim.

0 Kudos
tchristin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

New update, I browsed the vcac database on the vRA appliance and I found similar entries on the 'cat_resource' table :

• catalogitem_id
  • parentresource_id
  • request_id
  • requestbindingid
  • icon_id

I tried to do some updates on these keys but I'm still not able to get my VM into the 'Items' tab...

Need help please !

Cheers,

Tim.

0 Kudos