VMware Cloud Community
robrtb12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO 7.3 - VM powerState not updating for shutdownVM action

Hi

I setup a new vRO 7.3 appliance in November, imported my custom packages, that have traversed versions since vCO 4.x, and made customization's to the WF and actions as needed for this deployment.  Within the last week I've experienced the powerState not updating within the com.vmware.library.vc.vm.power.shutdownVM() action.  Restarting 'vco-server' service only temporarily resolves the issue.  I then duplicated the shutdownVM action and at the beginning of the while loop I obtain the VM using VcPlugin.getAllVirtualMachines(...) hoping this would correct the issue but the issue continues to pop-up.

Updated to vSphere plugin 6.5.0-7208762 two weeks ago, after having an issue where Any types were not passing between actions/workflows.

I was considering using 'Get vCenter entities by properties' in-place of my VcPlugin.getAllVirtualMachines(...) but I'm not sure this would correct the issue.  So I figured I would post here in hopes someone could help or should I open a ticket?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Just to clarify that I understand the problem - what you are seeing is that on line# 7 of the shutdownVM action

var status = vm.runtime.powerState.value;

the status variable never changes its value, and the action throws an exception after the provided timeout elapses?

What is the value of timeout parameter when you call this action? Is it possible that the VM guest OS shutdowns very slowly and the provided timeout is not enough? Could you check with larger timeout?

0 Kudos
robrtb12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ilian,

Yes, that is the correct line.  The timeout is 5mins and the VMs are shutting down within 90 seconds.

Something I just thought is worth noting, I have a workflow scheduled for every 30 minutes that traverses each VM on each host in each cluster to get a total of the VM memory for each cluster.

0 Kudos
mlapeyre47
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i am experiencing a similar problem when starting vm : the state is not updated correctly on my object vm but is correct in the vsphere client.
Did you find a solution or a workaround for your problem ?

0 Kudos
manuelperrot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have had few issues with the vRO cache getting stale and the value not updated when needed.

We are trying to resolve this by deploying the latest vCenter plugin in our environment:

Technical preview of vRO vCenter plug-in for vSphere 6.5

So far it looks good. 🙂

KMatsushita
Contributor
Contributor

HI, we have a same issue. Is there any solution?

0 Kudos