VMware Cloud Community
redsand007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDS Configuration Issue

I am trying to add/move vmnic0 from a standard switch to an already existing vDS that has vmnic1 attached.  Everything is good until it tries to add vmnic0 (see attached code screenshot).  I believe it has something do with the highlighted section.  It is creating an array, but for some reason the second pnicSpec is not defined and throws the error below.  I am able to do one vmnic at a time so it seems like I have to define that array for 2 pnicSpec's and I'm unsure how to go about it.  @iiliev any ideas?

TypeError: Cannot set property "pnicDevice" of undefined to "vmnic0"

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

It is an implementation detail of vCenter plug-in that such arrays cannot be dynamically resized by simply adding new elements to them.

To define the array to have 2 elements, you can replace the line:

config.proxySwitch[0].spec.backing.pnicSpec = [new VcDistributedVirtualSwitchHostMemberPnicSpec()];

with:

config.proxySwitch[0].spec.backing.pnicSpec = [new VcDistributedVirtualSwitchHostMemberPnicSpec(), new VcDistributedVirtualSwitchHostMemberPnicSpec()];

Or something like the following that will save some repetitive typing:

var spec1 = new VcDistributedVirtualSwitchHostMemberPnicSpec();

spec1.pnicDevice = ...;

// other setters for the first element's spec go here

var spec2 = new VcDistributedVirtualSwitchHostMemberPnicSpec();

spec2.pnicDevice = ...;

// other setters for the second element's spec go here

// and now set the 2-elements array property

config.proxySwitch[0].spec.backing.pnicSpec = [ spec1, spec2 ];

0 Kudos
redsand007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And that worked perfectly!  Thanks for the quick response and the accurate answer. Cheers my friend..HNY!

0 Kudos