VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for Cisco UCS Manager is GA

We are extremely pleased to announce the General Availability of the VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-in for Cisco UCS Manager.

The  UCS Manager Plug-In plays an important role in enabling  organizations  to automate and simplify the management of their cloud  infrastructure  by extending vCO's reach to the UCS platform.  What's  more, it's also a  significant step in proving that vCO enables  orchestration of the  broader VMware cloud ecosystem, and not simply  VMware applications.

With  over 90 out-of-the-box actions and workflows, the plug-in adds  management of compute hardware to vCO, therefore enabling the automation  of the entire physical and virtual stack.  Together with the vSphere  and vCloud Director plug-ins, the UCS Manager plug-in provides the  necessary pieces to automate several use cases, including:

1. Provisioning UCS blades for virtualization
  2. On-boarding a new tenant for a service provider
  3. Automatically scaling UCS compute resources

Below are some resources to help you better understand the value and scope of the Cisco UCS Manager plug-in:

You can also visit the vCenter Orchestrator product pages or blog.

Message was edited by: Burke- Fixed blog url in link

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rftayne
Contributor
Contributor

Hello forum, I am seeing an error when I use this Plug-in and I am hoping someone can help.

Here is my setup.

Rather than use our production UCS in order to play with this Plug-in, I am trying to use the Cisco UCS Platform Emulator (UCSPE v1.4 GA).

Everything works great at first, however, after a few minutes playing with the Plug-in, I see the UCS in the Orchestrator Client Inventory go "down" (see OrchestratorClient.jpg) and in the Orchestrator Configurator I am seeing the error "User reached maximum session limit" .

Can anyone shed some light on this error.

Thanks

Robert Tayne

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for trying out the new UCS Manager plug-in for vCO. Unfortunately, it looks like that there is an issue with the Cisco UCS Platform Emulator 1.4 version (UCSPE v1.4 GA). We are currently investigating the issue and we will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Igor.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
rftayne
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Igor, thank you for confirming this issue with the UCSPE v1.4 GA.

However, I am also seeing the same problem when I connect to my production UCS Manager 1.4(1j) (IP 172.31.1.11) using my read-only Active Directory account (see Orchestrator_Config_2.JPG, OrchestratorClient_2.JPG, and UCSManager.JPG).

I suspect the vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for the Cisco UCS Manager is exceeding the UCS CLI session limit of 32 total sessions.

Again, thank you for your help.

Robert Tayne

0 Kudos
vBlockJFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having trouble with it. When I try to connect to some of my UCS systems, I get a "java.lang.NullPointerException". Where are the log files for orchestrator, so I can figure out what's going wrong?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think the logs are also stored in: C:\Program Files\VMware\Orchestrator\app-server\server\vmo\log and in the vCenter Orchestrator Configuration interface under "Log".

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Robert,

Thanks again for you feedback and sorry for the delay in my response. There is now a new patch release of the vCenter Orchestrator Plug-in for Cisco UCS Manager 1.0.1 that fixes the issues with UCS sessions limit for UCS Manager 1.4(1j). Please, do let us know if there are any issues.

Thank you for your help identifying the issue,

Igor Stoyanov.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
rftayne
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Igor,

The Plug-in 1.01 patch is working great and fixed the problem error I was having with "User reached maximum session limit".

Thank you and the Orchestrator Team for a quick response to this problem!

Robert Tayne

0 Kudos
vBlockJFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Turns out, vCO was having trouble with the self signed certificates. Once I turned those off, I am now getting the "maximum user limit" error mentioned below. I'll have to upgrade vCO. Then maybe I can figure out how to use it...

thanks again,

vmjfk

0 Kudos
vBlockJFK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patch 1.0.1 worked for me as well. found here: http://bit.ly/jPkzc2

0 Kudos